Unknown wild orchids - ID request

07 May 2011 00:08 - 17 May 2013 13:02 #284 by
I photographed these two wild orchids in Huai Kha Kaeng but have no idea what species they are - can anyone help?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Sep 2011 17:06 - 05 Jun 2015 13:24 #331 by
Replied by on topic Unknown wild orchids - ID request
Lovely - you found Seidenfadenia mitrata! It has a very restricted range in Thailand and Burma. Literature claims it was common some 30 years ago, but I have never seen it in the wild. Kindly e-mail exact location to the director of the Orchid Ark in Chiang Mai: d i r e c t o r @dokmaigarden.co.th (I spaced the letter in director to avoid discovery by spam robots).

Cheers, Eric Danell, Dokmai Garden

19 Sep 2011 17:13 - 05 Jun 2015 13:24 #332 by
Replied by on topic Unknown wild orchids - ID request
The second orchid looks like Dendrobium aphyllum. Would you like to become an Orchid Scout? Such people report findings of native orchids, and describe the habitat carefully so that the Orchid Ark can accumulate the knowledge and use it for future outplanting efforts. Kindly e-mail me!

Cheers, Eric Danell, Dokmai Garden, Chiang Mai

19 Sep 2011 17:57 #339 by Trekker
Replied by Trekker on topic Unknown wild orchids - ID request
Sounds good, I will email on both counts

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com