[SOLVED] Strange, bright discovery, fungus?

28 Apr 2013 13:35 - 02 May 2013 10:07 #962 by Kevin
In my neck of the woods its painful to see that the entire province is basically a poster for the effects of deforestation and encroachment. Uttradit, once home to the largest and most abundant teak tree's on the planet was amongst Thailand's first areas to be over forested and thus destroyed.

Walk anywhere with a local over 30 and they will tell you of a time when this river used to flow year round, filled with fish, crabs, Surrounded by large trees and seemingly endless green Jungle. Talk to anyone over 50 and you'll hear of a time when money ment nothing, food came free from nature, tigers roamed the jungle, bears, leopards, deer and other stories that would make you cringe at the sight of the farmer on every plot of land repeatedly slashing and burning everything that even has the chance to sprout up beyond 6 inches.

Nothing but the fast growing bamboo survives here now days, and even that's only on the mountain sloops that are too remote and have too steep an angle to farm. That however doesn't stop them from burning even those areas down once a year to make there endless walks threw the jungle easier so they can kill even the smallest of bird or lizard, should one be unfortunate to stroll into the wrong part of the country.....

The so called National parks here testify to ignorance as the rangers drink all day and wait for there monthly paychecks while this is all happening.

So this is why I was so shocked to see what appeared to me unique, or certainly rare. Quietly making a home in the shade between a rock and some bamboo during my walk threw the dry dead wasteland while venturing to a cave I spotted this......

Please, If anyone knows what it is its always been on the back of my mind since I found it 4 years ago, I've been searching long and hard trying to identify it and have yet to find anything even remotely close... It never came back, and as is with so many rare events that I have personally witnessed, I guess I was lucky to see it.

Anyone know what it is??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Apr 2013 13:52 #963 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic [SOLVED] Strange, bright discovery, fungus?
#1,2, 4 and 5 are Balanophoraceaes. You will only see them for a very short period in the year here, usually now, after the first rains and the forest floor is getting damp again. Just search "Balanophoraceae" on google and you will see that they are indeed very strange. Without doubt not a regular sighting at all.

#3 is a mushroom which I will have a look for. I have never seem one quite like it, here.

28 Apr 2013 14:10 #964 by Kevin
Awsome, I'm happy to get such a fast reply.... It appears you certainly are correct, A plant according to Wikipedia...

Now as for the mushroom, I had always thought they were the same thing in all 5 photos, They were found less then 1 meter from each other,

Let me know if you come to a conclusion....

29 Apr 2013 11:57 - 29 Apr 2013 11:59 #965 by Paul T
#3 is definitely a mushroom and not associated with the Balanophoraceae you saw.

I had to ask someone, they said it was most likely of the genus Cyptotrama. Ideally they would have needed a photo under the cap as well to go further.

26 Oct 2013 10:35 - 27 Oct 2013 10:09 #1436 by Bo Christensen
Replied by Bo Christensen on topic [SOLVED] Strange, bright discovery, fungus?
I have had #3 show up in my garden a few times here in Phitsanulok.
The closest I have come to an ID is Cystoagaricus trisulphuratus - without being sure.

Attachments:

18 Nov 2013 17:33 #1483 by Paul T
I am slow but I get there in the end ... it is Agaricus trisphuratus

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com