Thung Yai Naresuan

08 Mar 2017 06:52 #4281 by backtofront
backtofront created the topic: Thungyai
Has anyone visited Thungyai? I found this www.birdingsiteguide.com/index.php/indo-...g-wildlife-sanctuary .

"Access to the Thungyai reserve is harder, as the roads are poor. Take the route Thong Pha Phum-Sangkhla Buri near Huai Suea to Khli Ti Village, a distance of 42 km. After that, there is an intersection leading to the Wildlife Sanctuary Headquarters at Huai Song Thai another 40 km.

There are 3 permitted points for staying overnight. The first point is in the area of the sanctuary office, including 3 houses with a capacity of 10-30 persons and the training building with a capacity of 80 persons. The second point is at the Cyber Ranger Station, and the third one is at the Huai Mae Di Ranger Station.

There is no mention of camping. I am assuming that the three houses are located at Thungyai. Can you overnight at the Cyber (waterfall) and Huai Mae Di (with permission?). Lastly are the last two in Thungyai or Huai Kha Khaeng?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2017 07:38 - 08 Mar 2017 07:46 #4282 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Thungyai

backtofront wrote:
"Can you overnight at the Cyber (waterfall) and Huai Mae Di (with permission?). Lastly are the last two in Thungyai or Huai Kha Khaeng?

They are in Hua Kha Khaeng. Hua Mae Dee you can camp no permission needed. Cyber has facilities but never seen anyone camping there - the access area is so small (about 300 meters trail the waterfall) not sure if it would be worth while. Being a waterfall its busy at weekends, esp with the local kids.
The following user(s) said Thank You: backtofront

More
08 Mar 2017 11:23 #4283 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Thungyai
As Paul mentioned, the 3 locations mentioned are in Huai Kha Khaeng, not in Thung Yai. For wildlife watching you want to be at the head quarter area in Lan Sak, Cyber waterfall will not be of interest. And I think you won't see much in Mae Dee either.

Camping is no longer allowed at the HQ area in HKK since last year (2016) after a camper got injured due to an elephant attack on the camp ground.
Best to stay in a nearby resort and just do day trips in and out each day. Make sure to rent a car, because without transport it will be a major disappointment.

I have never been to Thung Yai. It is high on my wish list. If I am correctly informed Thung Yai has a camping area which is open to visitors without special permission (but don't trust me on my word, I haven't tried it myself).
I do not know the exact location of this, and I do not know what wildlife watching opportunities there are around there. I know some people have had great sightings there, but of course those results do not necessarily mean anything.

One more thing. I do not know how many places you have visited already in Thailand, but if this is one of your first visits I would like to recommend not to exclude visiting some of the more popular national parks. I know many people want to visit remote parks with few tourists but the best places to actually see something, not to mention to actually be able to do more activities, are in the the national parks like Khao Yai and to a certain extend Kaeng Krachan.
I made the same 'mistake' on my first Thailand visit. I skipped Khao Yai and Kaeng Krachan because these were supposedly some of the more popular parks. Luckily I got ' stuck' in Thailand ;-) and got another chance to learn that these parks are popular for a good reason.

Enjoy!

More
08 Mar 2017 11:44 #4284 by backtofront
backtofront replied the topic: Thungyai
We are local and I am looking. Not so much for stuff to see. More so, that which is not seen. We have done a quick trip to Huai Kha Khaeng and have taken the back road to Khao Laem. I saw the turn off to Thungyai and would be most interested to know if anyone has tried it.

More
08 Mar 2017 13:01 #4285 by admin
admin replied the topic: Thungyai
Here you go:
I understand access is very difficult when wet....

www.thungyaiwest.com/western-thungyai-na...ntry-permission.html

More
08 Mar 2017 15:24 #4286 by backtofront
Thank you. Looks challenging. I can just imagine the response I am going to get from the wife if I start pointing her in this direction.

More
09 Mar 2017 19:32 #4287 by Geoff Potter
Geoff Potter replied the topic: Thungyai
I think the area you are referring to in your first post is Thung Yai Narusuwan (West entrance). You head out past Kanchanaburi for about 120K to Thong Pa Poom and take a right at the traffic lights just before the town. From there its about 25K to a well signposted right turn to Thung Yai. The road winds up to higher levels and another signposted left turn after about 18K, after that its gravel roads for another 15K or so to the final left turn to the park. This one is only in Thai so its easily missed! After the turn its 8K to the park entrance and campground.

You can sign in here and camp in the spacious camp ground but you cannot go beyond this point without permission from the DNP in Bangkok. If you do decide to get that it takes a couple of days and you will need a 4WD truck with some reasonable clearance, the road can be very bad.

The area around the campsite is still worth it and you can walk the road in for as far as you want, good for birds and wildlife and very quiet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: onflipflops, backtofront

More
10 Mar 2017 04:44 #4288 by backtofront
Cheers. I assume its bring your own. Both food and camping gear. What are the ablutions like? Can you get firewood? Are you allowed to cook over coals or is it gas only?

More
10 Mar 2017 05:42 #4289 by backtofront
The 3183 just after Kroeng Krawia? There is another small national park Lam Khong Ngu a little further on. Do you know anything about that one? I see the Pupakaew Resort on Google maps. It is at the end of the road to nowhere but have learnt not to put too much faith in the positioning of these things.

More
10 Mar 2017 19:29 #4290 by Geoff Potter
Geoff Potter replied the topic: Thungyai
You pass another park on your way in, can't remember the name but it looked like a reforested area, not that great.

Thung Yai is absolutely "bring your own" there's nothing available there at all.

Bathrooms at the campsite are basic but OK

More
18 Mar 2017 19:34 #4307 by Robby L
Robby L replied the topic: Thungyai
See my reply on HMD on the other topic, in addition, take your own tent and gas cooking gear and food, toilets are squat but they will open a western style toilet at one of the houses if asked.

More