Countryside small mammals

• alex galo
  • alex galo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Leech Bait
More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #5036 by alex galo
Countryside small mammals was created by alex galo
Hi everyone . first day and first question :)

Next november i will come back to thailand at Phichai vilage on Uttaradit province (that on the north at the foot of the montains).Anybody know what wild mammals can i see on contryside? I was there before but didn t take much care because did not make wildlife photography.

Here in europe i can see rabits, foxes , rats , or some weasel in very lucky day but i not have any idea in Thailand , just know than is many snakes , lizard , and birds but no have any idea about wilds mammals . Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #5039 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Countryside small mammals
Its an area I don't know but looking at the map Pichai district would be a general farming area? In which case, for mammals, you probably will not see much at all (like all general farming areas in Thailand). Theres is always a chance to see smaller mammals out on the road at night and out lamping but its down to luck.

If you are close to mountains then thats where you should go - mountains and trees usually means small mammals.

I'd recommend asking the locals when you are there, theres a major river so the tributaries might have a little surprise too. The locals will know.

Uttaradit has 3 national parks which you should consider visiting - the range maps show possibilities of more interesting mammals once you are in the parks. For mammals in Thailand you really need to be in a park.

Birds and Herps are not my thing, maybe some of the others will add something as they have good knowledge of those things.

Hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: alex galo

More
1 month 1 week ago #5046 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Countryside small mammals
I do not know the area you will be staying. I can only comment about smaller mammals I have seen in agricultural areas in other parts of the country.
This is a short list unfortunately.
Small Asian Mongoose
Small Indian Civet
Burmese Hare
Various squirrel species like Variable Squirrel, Grey-bellied Squirrel, Indochinese Ground Squirrel, and Western (or Cambodian) Striped Squirrel (not sure which of the two would occur in that specific area)
Northern Treeshrew
And then there are mice, rat and shrew species of which I know nothing about.

If enough trees there might be a chance for
Common Palm Civet and Bengal Slow Loris

By all means not sure if all of them occur in your area, but these seem to be quite tolerant to human dominated landscapes. Several are nocturnal so would generally require spotlighting to be seen.

As for the snakes and lizards. Too many options. If you have photographed anything, just post it here and you will get an ID as long as the pictures are clear enough.

Enjoy your stay in Thailand!

But indeed like Paul said, if you wish to see and especially photograph mammals you should go to the larger national parks. There is lots to see, though many species are rare to be seen so many visits will be needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alex galo

• alex galo
  • alex galo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Leech Bait
More
1 month 2 days ago #5057 by alex galo
Replied by alex galo on topic Countryside small mammals
thank you very much i will try to national park guards if they can bring me to place where i can try to make picture and try near the mountains beside home with my nephew who is thai he don t know very much the mountains but can talk with locals , anyway i m looking for by google map areas who could be interesting

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph