Last Hope for Siamese Rosewood?

• Paul T
  • Paul T's Avatar Topic Author
  • Tree Hugger
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #1681 by Paul T
Last Hope for Siamese Rosewood? was created by Paul T
When I read the following article, I was initially quite blasé. But after a few minutes of thought, I figured as all other solutions are failing, then maybe there is hope in a culturally local solution...... anything is worth trying.....

BKP Siamese Rosewood Article

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul T
  • Tree Hugger
More
4 years 8 months ago #1685 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Last Hope for Siamese Rosewood?

• Paul T
  • Tree Hugger
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #2354 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Last Hope for Siamese Rosewood?
This is just to bring this thread up to date - Thailand is now in the middle of a major crackdown on Siamese Rosewood poaching, with hundreds of arrests made in the last few months, daily arrests can be followed on the DNP Facebook page.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #2356 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Last Hope for Siamese Rosewood?
These problems can only be solved with help of the army.
I think the army usually has less local connections and therefore a smaller risk being corrupted/ blackmailed/ threatened by illegal loggers/ poachers.
If I would be a local ranger living with my family near the park I would think twice before getting in conflict with illegal loggers/ poachers connected to 'big' people and risking my own life and/ or that of my family.
Luckily the army seems to understand this and is not turning its back to these problems but actually faces them and tries to solve them.
Hopefully they will go after the big money-makers that are behind all this.
And punish them by taking ALL their property.
Only if you truly take everything away from them, they will be truly punished. They will loose their 'face', their status. Nothing seems to hurt a Thai more than this.

Lets hope the army will continue to back up the DNP and rid the country from those who are depleting the forests.
So far they're doing a great job!

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph