Sunda clouded leopard

3 years 9 months ago #2197 by Paul T
Sunda clouded leopard was created by Paul T
"A female Sunda clouded leopard has been fitted with a satellite collar

Rahsia, weighing 9.9kg, was caught in one of the traps set up along the Kinabatangan River in the vicinity of the Danau Girang Field Centre (DGFC) on Aug 15.

Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (WildCRU) team member Andrew Hearn, who is a PhD student with Oxford University, said the leopard was the fourth one collared but was the first female to be tagged."

continue reading the story by clicking here

What amazes me about this story is the fact that it is published in a Thai-English language newspaper. We have seen an incredible turn around in Thailand over the last few months through strong leadership in fighting conservation issues.

We are seeing a mass awakening, largely due to Facebook, of conservation issues as a social media topic, providing immense support to those those Thai NGO's and Civil Service Dept's fighting for conservation.

Is it wishful thinking or is the Thai Media (whom I do not have a lot of respect for in regards to journalistic integrity) finally cottoning onto the peoples wishes to see the reporting of conservation issues? Even when non-national?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #2201 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Sunda clouded leopard
Let''s hope Thai (and world-wide) media keeps (or should I say 'starts') publishing true stories on conservation.
Interesting to hear about the Clouded Leopard research project. One of the world's most beautiful cats.
What I really would love to know, is the time these cats spend on the ground and the time they spend up in trees, and what exactly they do both on the ground and in the trees. But not sure if a collar is able to collect this data, I'm afraid not...
I've read a scientific paper on Clouded Leopard from Phu Khieo WS. Very interesting, even the little info it actually gives. There is so little known from the wild.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok Decline