Khao Yai recommendation

• Paul T
  • Paul T's Avatar Topic Author
  • Tree Hugger
More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #3834 by Paul T
Khao Yai recommendation was created by Paul T
IUCN recommendation on Khao Yai - oh dear................... not enough being done.... more needed if Thailand wants to keep World Heritage status

whc.unesco.org/en/soc/3467

"Decides to inscribe Dong Phayayen-Khao Yai Forest Complex (Thailand) on the List of World Heritage in Danger;"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Heritage_in_Danger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #3835 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Khao Yai recommendation
Certainly not wrong if Thailand gets some more pressure to set the right priorities.
What exactly does the IUCN believe is lacking?
I can make my own list with complaints, haha but I am wondering what they think.
And does anyone know approximately how much financial support comes with the status of a World Heritage site?

More
2 years 4 months ago #3836 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Khao Yai recommendation
Sorry I first should have clicked the link before asking ;-)

• Paul T
  • Paul T's Avatar Topic Author
  • Tree Hugger
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #3901 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Khao Yai recommendation
Seems that Thailand successfully convinced the WHC to NOT put DPYKY on the "in danger list" as per the IUCN recommendation, arguing that real progress had already been made on some of the issues and that more progress was to come.

The sessions are being broadcast live at whc.unesco.org/en/sessions/40COM/ and

Kaeng Krachan will be heard late this afternoon/early evening (Thai time Friday 15th July) (ADD - which probably might not happen now as theres an attempted coup in Turkey where the meeting is taking place)

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph