Facebook Login

Andrew Biggs wildlife 90 years ago

22 Jul 2019 09:14 - 22 Jul 2019 09:14 #5320 by INFO
A very interesting opinion piece by Andrew Biggs in the Bangkok Post gives an insight into what the country was like 90 years ago regards some wildlife and its eventual decimation.

www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1716...ats-past-is-prologue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jul 2019 12:20 #5327 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Andrew Biggs wildlife 90 years ago
I often wonder how the jungle would have looked before the human population exploded.
How easy/ or difficult it would have been to see wildlife. Not sure if 90 years is far enough back in time, but nevertheless it would be interesting to see.

Unfortunately, the scars of the human invasion are all too clear when you drive around in Nan.
Medium-sized/ large mammals are hard to find, but I guess some are still around.
I have seen bear claw marks, medium-sized cat scat. And the hunting hasn't stopped yet. I have heard gun shots at night, and seen locals walk around with rifles and flash lights at night. They did not even try to hide it when walking on the main road when I drove by.

I hope to hit the road soon to explore that region again. Because in terms of herpetofauna it's a poorly explored place with likely some more exciting surprises waiting to be discovered.

24 Jul 2019 19:19 - 26 Jul 2019 10:55 #5328 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Andrew Biggs wildlife 90 years ago
Theres a short sequence here but as you can see the price of a DVD is... well..... expensive (249 USD). Theres a note in the comments that streaming may be available soon.

Buy here ..... milestonefilms.com/products/chang?_pos=1&_sid=a898f7f72&_ss=r

27 Jul 2019 21:36 #5329 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Andrew Biggs wildlife 90 years ago
Very nice. Would love to see it when it's streaming.

18 Aug 2019 20:52 - 19 Aug 2019 06:45 #5335 by INFO
Replied by INFO on topic Andrew Biggs wildlife 90 years ago
Another excerpt from the movie, this one is a bit more "impressive" cinematographically and involves a tiger - would hate to think what techniques they used to film it back then.

and an elephant herd ...........

The following user(s) said Thank You: onflipflops

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2019 wildlifethailand.com