× The Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary is located in Uthai Thani and Tak Provinces, Thailand. The sanctuary was established in 1974, and is one of the largest and most important protected wildlife areas in Southeast Asia. The wildlife sanctuary was declared a World Heritage Site by the United Nations in 1991. The protected area is home to a diverse range of animals including large mammals, birds, and reptiles. It is Thailand's premier Wildlife research sanctuary.

Photos from Huai Kha Khaeng (July 2014 Visit...)

• wildambience
  • wildambience's Avatar Topic Author
  • Naturalist
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #2305 by wildambience
Just finished processing my photos from Huai Kha Khaeng visit in July this year. Thought I'd share a few highlights....

Perhaps most photogenic of all the creatures we encountered were the Jackals in the campground. This appears to be a juvenile & the family were very vocal the first night we camped.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wildambience
  • Naturalist
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #2307 by wildambience
Replied by wildambience on topic Photos from Huai Kha Khaeng (July 2014 Visit...)
Black-headed Woodpeckers are surely one of the most beautiful woodpecker species on the planet, and they are very common in HKK, often travelling in groups.

Attachments:

• wildambience
  • Naturalist
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #2308 by wildambience
Replied by wildambience on topic Photos from Huai Kha Khaeng (July 2014 Visit...)
One afternoon while in the 1st tower (Haw Nok Yeung) a heavy thunderstorm passed by - thankfully it lightened up by 18pm so we were ale to walk out without getting too wet.

Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #2311 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Photos from Huai Kha Khaeng (July 2014 Visit...)
Great shots Marc!
I love the shot of the Sambar in the rain. Don't see those pictures everyday.
Sambar generally does not seem to mind the rain too much.

And the amount of woodpeckers keeps surprising me every time I visit HKK. Lots of them, and also quite a few species sharing the same habitat. Last trip we got to see Black-headed Woodpecker, Laced Woodpecker, White-bellied Woodpecker, Common Flameback, and Greater Yellownape. Sometimes you see waves of multiple woodpecker species.

More
4 years 1 month ago #2320 by Paul T
I agree - great shots, and the rain picture is very appealing. Great stuff!

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph