× The Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary is located in Uthai Thani and Tak Provinces, Thailand. The sanctuary was established in 1974, and is one of the largest and most important protected wildlife areas in Southeast Asia. The wildlife sanctuary was declared a World Heritage Site by the United Nations in 1991. The protected area is home to a diverse range of animals including large mammals, birds, and reptiles. It is Thailand's premier Wildlife research sanctuary.

Huai Kha Khaeng HQ Campground Temporarily Closed

2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #3718 by wildambience
I visited HQ last Sunday (24th April) and the campground was closed to visitors due to lack of water/drought. So we ended up staying a night just outside the entrance gate in a small 'resort' in the village.

Conditions in HKK were extremely hot and dry - in the afternoon birdlife was prolific around the few remaining puddles of water visible from the entrance road. I imagine it's probably a great time to see wildlife along the river if you can put up with the heat. Hopefully they'll get some rain soon.

Due to the +40c heat decided to head across to Khao Yai to spend the last few days of our Thailand trip in a slightly cooler evergreen area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: admin, Paul T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #3827 by Alex
Does anyone know if the Huai Kha Khaeng HQ campsite is open again? I was thinking of heading up to camp this weekend.

More
2 years 1 month ago #3831 by Paul T
I don't know - but I would think its surely open again as the weathers changed significantly.

More
2 years 1 month ago #3844 by Alex
I went to Huai Kha Kaeng this Weekend. The campsite was still closed although it wasn't obvious why. There seemed to be plenty of water and the ranger i spoke to didn't seem to know either.
I walked the Khao Hin Daeng trail a couple of times and was very impressed. I ran into an elephant in the forest both times, although was too scared to get any decent photographs! I was constantly disturbing sambar, muntjac and wild pig in the forest and the sound of gibbons was pretty common around me.
I was also lucky enough to see a small herd of Banteng at the observation tower by the Pong Chang Puak trail.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #3845 by Alex

More
2 years 1 month ago #3846 by admin
Great pics! Interesting that the camp ground is not open again. I have not been there for so long I had forgotten how good it was!

More
Time to create page: 0.490 seconds

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok Decline