× The Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary is located in Uthai Thani and Tak Provinces, Thailand. The sanctuary was established in 1974, and is one of the largest and most important protected wildlife areas in Southeast Asia. The wildlife sanctuary was declared a World Heritage Site by the United Nations in 1991. The protected area is home to a diverse range of animals including large mammals, birds, and reptiles. It is Thailand's premier Wildlife research sanctuary.

Visit the Huai Kha Khaeng wildlife sanctuary

• Cristele
  • Cristele's Avatar Topic Author
  • Leech Bait
More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #4004 by Cristele
Hello,

My family (my husband, 3 teenagers and me) are going to visit Thailand in december. During these hollidays, we want to visit the Huai Kha Khaeng wild life sanctuary. Unfortunately there is no guided tour plan during our Thailand hollidays (end of december), so we have to plan it.

We expect to arrive near Huai Kha Khaeng wildlife sanctuary from December 24th to 25th and we would have a guide or ranger to guide us in order to expect to see wild animals. How is it possible to find one ? Is it possible to "book" one and how ? Do you know if it is possible to find one who speak french or english ?
Moreover, I also read it is possible to sleep in the campsite of the park. But I have also read (in other website) that an authorization is needed. Do you know if it is possible to sleep there, namely if it is open now ? and do we need to book a place ?

Finally, we will rent a tourism car, but I do not know if it is good, if we have to rent a 4*4 or if the rangers which could guide us could have one.

Do you have information about them or do you know somebody I can contact to explain and to help us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #4006 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Visit the Huai Kha Khaeng wildlife sanctuary
I am not the best person to reply as I have not been to HKK for a couple of years, so hopefully someone will step in if anything I say is out of date or wrong.

There is a large campsite with facilities (toilets showers etc) and you do not have to book in advance. See other posts for current campsite situation.
4 x 4 not needed for HKK. The entrance road to the HQ/camping area is a well graded road. The rest is accessible on foot.
Guides - you don't have to have one BUT I would highly recommend one for any tourist who wants to make the most out of a trip to any of Thailand's parks, sanctuaries or forests and ensure a safe experience.

If you go to the "galleries" menu at the top of the page and choose "Thai Nature Weblinks" and then when the page opens click on "guides" you will be presented with a list of websites that offer guiding services. Alternatively you can also post in the "Find a Guide or Buddy" forum.

They used to have local guides ( I would say no chance of english or french though) to walk the established nature walks (see other posts here for details on the trails) on weekends with visitors - they sat in a booth/shed in the car park - I am not sure if that still exists - as I said I have not been there for a very long time.

Thats about all I have so I will defer to the other forum members who have a lot more experience with HKK than I do.

More
1 year 11 months ago #4007 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Visit the Huai Kha Khaeng wildlife sanctuary
Your best bet is indeed to just arrive and ask at the visitor centre/ hq for a ranger to join you to some spots/ trails. Don't expect English to be spoken, and you need luck with getting the right person that will try his best to find you some wildlife, but at least you will not get lost.
The Khao Hin Daeng trail is nice, but apart from maybe the short cut, the longer loop is definitely not recommended to do by yourself! Even with a lot of jungle experience and having walked the trail many times before it requires concentration to not make wrong decisions.

BTW, unless you have been various times to the other big national parks in Thailand, I would recommend to pick e.g. Kaeng Krachan or Khao Yai national park if you'd like to see wildlife. You will see more wildlife in these parks than you normally will in HKK.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph