Facebook Login
× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

Tiger at Baan Krang

04 Feb 2014 19:09 - 21 Aug 2014 13:39 #1665 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Tiger at Baan Krang
I would love a daytime sighting of a leopard cat! I do like the Khao Hin Daeng trail - its shows just how quickly the forest types change in HKK as its classic mixed evergreen as compared to the mainly dry and mixed deciduous you see on the entrance road. It gets even better the deeper you get with one of the most beautiful mixed deciduous forest environments I have seen.

There has not to been a full survey of KK yet, just partials so no-one knows exactly what is there - like many places in Thailand. The amount of tigers is not assumed to be very large at all, so trapping shots are rare. I would guess that the most studied place is, without a doubt, HKK followed by DPYKY.

The word you are looking for, I think, is a "scrape".

So here it is, the cam setup was NOT to catch animals but to monitor for poachers who may interfere with the camera trap set-ups. Thats why the shot angle is strange. We were all truly surprised to see a tiger in the footage - we never expected it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Feb 2014 00:17 #1667 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Tiger at Baan Krang
A scrape! how could I have forgotten about that... Thanks. I'm not a native English speaker, and sometimes the words are in my vocabulary, but for some reason don't want to come up when I need them, haha.

Nice video! I guess everytime when you retrieve your cameras it must put a big smile on your face when you've captured something special, especially the king of all cats! Congratulations!

Do you always first set up a hidden camera just to check if trails are used by people?

Here some 100% crops of the running Leopard Cat. I've become quite fast with my camera since I live in Thailand. But if you only get 1 second to get the camera in front of your face and shoot, it just isn't enough... Well, at least the pics clearly confirmed my initial ID...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

05 Feb 2014 08:49 #1669 by Painted Jezebel
Replied by Painted Jezebel on topic Tiger at Baan Krang
Fortunately, the tiger did not get me. Unfortunately, I didn't get the tiger either. You were right about the paucity of butterflies, too early in the season I think.

Fantastic to see the video. Thanks.

13 Feb 2014 12:56 - 13 Feb 2014 13:00 #1691 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Tiger at Baan Krang
I have been scanning facebook, I would imagine whoever got the shot would be keen to post it but so far nothing out there about it is showing up

Funny part is that tourist might actually think its a "natural event" to see a tiger in the wild and may not even realize how close it is related to actually winning the lottery!

Also to note, have heard that for the first time in 20 years a Tiger has unconfirmed taken 1-2 cows from a farmer near the border of Thap Lan and Khao Yai. Maybe an older animal or younger one looking for new territory?

I know there are logistics and capture issues but wish there was a way to link Thap Lan and Khao Yai for tigers and leopards. Be great to return balance to Khao Yai with the big predators again but I am probably dreaming again

13 Feb 2014 23:16 #1692 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Tiger at Baan Krang
That would not be great news, Jonathan. Another human-wildlife conflict is not going to help conservation.
Does Thailand have any policy to compensate for lost cattle if killed by wildlife?

I'm having the same dreams of connecting the parks in the East. But it will probably not be the government's priority. For once I would not mind if it would mean that half of the project's budget would go into pockets of the 'big' people, as long as it means that there would be a tunnel or whatever suitable to connect the parks without obstructing the traffic.
But I don't think it will happen any time soon.

19 Feb 2014 20:39 - 21 Aug 2014 13:41 #1713 by WalkingTiger
Replied by WalkingTiger on topic Tiger at Baan Krang
It's encouraging to hear about tigers still left in Kaeng Krachan.

Tigers persist in many places in spite of people. They're an elusive animal and there is still a lot we don't know about tigers in this country.

Edit: Great photo of the leopard cat.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.