Remember Me
Register
Facebook Login
× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

Kaeng Krachan is revealing her secrets

23 Apr 2014 23:25 - 24 Apr 2014 00:02 #1854 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Kaeng Krachan is revealing her secrets
Kaeng Krachan's other muntjac species, the ubiquitous Muntiacus muntjak, also called the red muntjac, common muntjac or barking deer.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Apr 2014 23:35 #1855 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Kaeng Krachan is revealing her secrets
Amazing the diversity passing that tree. I wish I was that tree...

I'm getting homesick to Thailand's jungles. Am back in Europe visiting family. Luckily the spring has started here, and the good news is that I picked up my first trail camera (an LTL Acorn 5210MM, not sure if any of you are familiar with this brand/ model...).
After getting 2 domestic cats in the garden the first test night, I decided to place it in a small patch of forest along the main river near my hometown.
Have been moving it around a bit, but so far every location was a success. So far not a day without activity of European roe deer (the only deer species living near my howntown). And got one tail-end of a fox. And quite a bit of birdlife. It surprises me how easy I am getting these results, I did not expect a large population of deer to inhabit the area, but have so far been able to identify quite a number of different individuals.

Won't get back to Thailand until the end of June so have some more time to practise for the real thing ;)

23 Apr 2014 23:58 - 24 Apr 2014 09:17 #1856 by Paul T
I am so happy you guys are venturing into camera traps. Its really so immensely rewarding, you are going to witness an excitement you have never had in a forest before - that anticipation of what might be on the camera - the highs and lows of what or is not on the camera - and the insights it brings to you. To sit at your computer and to be able to see the animals you dream about seeing, playing out their lives on your computer screen. The sheer joy when you see something you have not seen before. I have one in a tree outside my building, trying a get squirrel footage - guards think I am mad.

Bushnell, Moultree, Acorn, et al, they are all great because they let you into the secret lives of the animals you rarely get to see.

Soon you will have drawers in your house like this:

A secret, for every video clip I share with you I have 500 others, all delighting me and building my knowledge of the animals. The boring stuff is even fantastic.

And I still have more to share with you all from our Kaeng Krachan tree!
Attachments:

24 Apr 2014 17:32 #1863 by onflipflops
I can imagine; you must have tons of videos.
The only thing I need to get arranged is a protective case for the cam that is elephant (and bear)-proof...

But what a shame you have so many unused in your drawer ;)

26 Apr 2014 16:03 - 27 Apr 2014 09:24 #1885 by Paul T
Half of them in the drawer don't work anymore :blush: I need to get time to have a look at them, they are NOT very robust machines at best. A metal case is a must.

Ed just reminded me of this, I had forgotten - for every picture that works, there are failures that torment you.....

From the proverbial "cutting room floor" - a reminder that "luck" is a major part of wildlife photography.
Attachments:

27 Apr 2014 07:02 - 27 Apr 2014 07:14 #1891 by onflipflops
Wooow!
Probably the best exposed image of a wild Clouded Leopard I have seen so far.
I highly doubt the fantastic images of Andy Rouse are of a wild animal.
Let's hope he will return and look into the camera next time. But it is far from a failure.
What an extraordinary location...

27 Apr 2014 09:43 #1893 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Kaeng Krachan is revealing her secrets
Oh wow this is special, regardless of the unfortunate partial decapitation at the hands of the tree it still is a quite awesome capture, thanks for sharing, its a beauty...almost!!! ;)

06 May 2014 19:12 #1965 by Paul T
Another of Kaeng Krachan's cats - leopard cat Prionailurus bengalensis

Attachments:

06 May 2014 19:52 #1967 by onflipflops

10 May 2014 08:45 #1975 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Kaeng Krachan is revealing her secrets
What a cute little cat! Is this the same 'treestump' camera?

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph