× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

Kaeng Krachan Open or Closed

09 Nov 2020 10:46 #5516 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Kaeng Krachan Closures
I went on Sunday, here is my report for it

So to start off it was definitely a busy weekend, coming up to Baan Krang there were about 20 tents out and quite a bit of hussle around. Surprisingly the road in was full of leaf litter making the roads quite slick and very little cut back of plants was a bit surprising to me as i thought they would have sorted the basics before re-opening. When i got to the end of the camp ground i was quite surprised to see the gate open, so I doubled back and asked the ranger if we were permitted to drive in, he said yes and that we could now drive 3km in

From the Baan Krang camp ground you can now drive to the base of the mountain, but to my second shock, they created a concrete road from the camp ground to the first river crossing, but they made it so narrow that two cars cannot pass each other without one being off the road! Due to the height of the concrete, when you go off the road your tires sink into the mud and there were several places where you could see cars get stuck, or scrape the road trying to get back on to it while letting someone else pass! It was quite surprising that they didnt extend the road width another 1.5m which would allow two cars to pass each other, and to top it off people increase their speed on concrete roads so i had two times where they had to stop very suddenly because they were driving too fast. Also since there are bamboo spikes stopping people from driving far off the concrete road, you cant really pull over if its a bird you want to photograph etc, so bird groups were blocking the road and just stopping their car giving you no chance to pass! I see lots of headaches, not progress for waste of money.

After you cross the first river crossing it goes back to the same old dirt road until you reach the base of the mountain which is great and allows more usage of the part and the 300 baht us foreigners have to pay to get in. There is an unmanned gate at this point which is locked and secured. I couldn't get any good answers on when this could change as usual

My walk was to one of the grasslands before Baan Krang, the trail was full of tracks and had to make a hasty retreat when we spooked two Guar further down, thankfully the feeling was mutual and they did the same.

Overall park is open, trails are still very muddy and slick so if your planning to come bring what you need accordingly
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T, onflipflops

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com