× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

New Kaeng Krachan Camp Site

• Paul T
  • Paul T's Avatar Topic Author
  • Tree Hugger
More
3 years 6 months ago - 4 months 1 week ago #2791 by Paul T
New Kaeng Krachan Camp Site was created by Paul T
We got a look at the new keang krachan camp site on Saturday and if you have not seen it yet I think you are going to be impressed.

They have created a 20 km dirt road from two existing tracks to an old ranger station site, with the camp site at its furthest point. Its quite a big site and set out on the side of a hill with the actual camp ground in the bottom. Whats nice about it all though is the 20 km trail - its a dirt road so not saloon car drivable - which has been set out really well with a lot of work going into making watering holes and clearings for big mammals (elephants and bovids) throughout its length. Its really going to open up KK and give nature lovers a real chance of seeing animals and having locations to sit and watch. There's water and clearings throughout the tracks length, esp in the first 10ks though, which is two valleys of secondary forest that has a lot of mammals.

The camp site/rangers area is fully complete, the track has some stream crossings that may still need a little work.

We could not get an answer as to when it will be open though. The road is not open yet to cars and we went in with an official to look at other aspects of the area. Its day trip walkable from Baan Krang.

ADDENDUM 2018: The Khrom Kid camp site will not open to the public - the whole area of the Khrom Kid sub-station is now a STAFF ONLY area with no tourist entrance allowed. This may or may not change in coming years. If it does then campers will be happy but it would be detrimental to the areas wildlife.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66, Bjarnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #3285 by wildambience
Replied by wildambience on topic New Kaeng Krachan Camp Site
Any updates on the new campsite in Kaeng Krachan? We're hoping to visit in March/April 2016 sometime.

• Paul T
  • Tree Hugger
More
2 years 9 months ago #3288 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic New Kaeng Krachan Camp Site
Still no decision to open it as far as I know. There are still some habitat improvement works ongoing for the gaur with clearings and food plants.

More
2 years 9 months ago #3292 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic New Kaeng Krachan Camp Site
Where is the entrance to this new site.. I will be going tomorrow . would like to check it out

More
2 years 9 months ago #3293 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic New Kaeng Krachan Camp Site
Is this the road that begins by turning left just after the salt lick that used to be the end of the sealed road prior to the new road being completed?

If so I have been down there for about 10 -15 K before they officially sealed it off. Ends in what seems to be an area of abandoned agricultural land.

The ranger "Pong" who does most of the cooking at Bang Krang tells me there are large herds of Gaur in there....

More
2 years 9 months ago #3294 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic New Kaeng Krachan Camp Site
The road Geoff mentioned leads there, though I have never walked this apart from the first 1km.
Other option. When you reach Ban Krang camp the road bends to the right up to the gate and the restaurant. But instead of turning right, turn left, downhill. The road crosses the river and after the river crossing you keep left. I do not know the exact distance. I walked it once all the way to the new camp and I believe it's like 8 - 9 kms (one-way). A roundtrip walk is quite long... and with large parts without any shade, so hot and exhausting. But the terrain is quite easy, lots of it is flat.

At this point I think it still requires a ranger to accompany you to walk that road. Though they might let you go by yourself, if they know you and think you are experienced enough.
You certainly will not get lost, the car tracks are easily visible, and there are no confusing tracks branching off.
At about the third river crossing onwards there are some parts with some better quality forest cover.

Elephants frequent this area, so walking in, could get you stuck on your way back when an elephant(s) decide to start feeding along the track blocking the road back to Ban Krang. Solution is to be patient...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bjarnie

More
2 years 7 months ago #3478 by VMFSTUD
Replied by VMFSTUD on topic New Kaeng Krachan Camp Site
Are there any news about the new Campsite? Is it open now? I've heared that Ban Krang Campsite is closed due to the dry weater (no water in the river) so this could be an alternative. Thank you.

• Paul T
  • Tree Hugger
More
2 years 7 months ago - 4 months 1 week ago #3480 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic New Kaeng Krachan Camp Site

VMFSTUD wrote: Are there any news about the new Campsite? Is it open now? I've heared that Ban Krang Campsite is closed due to the dry weater (no water in the river) so this could be an alternative. Thank you.

New camp site - there are no plans to open it and the access roads have now been closed to all but staff.

Baan Krang is still open (was this afternoon anyway) see below for correction
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph