Facebook Login
× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

K Krachan drying out

29 Feb 2016 14:45 #3454 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic K Krachan drying out
I have seen mouse deer there a number of times

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Feb 2016 20:22 #3455 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic K Krachan drying out
Thanks, but defo not a mouse deer.. a little bit bigger than that.. looked like it had no neck like a beaver, but was really fast and sort of hopped/ bounded.. I really have no idea..

01 Mar 2016 17:53 #3463 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic K Krachan drying out
Yellow Throated Martin? Lots of those about.

01 Mar 2016 22:19 #3464 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic K Krachan drying out
Yellow-throated Martens indeed hop almost rabbit-like.
Other option, though, not moving rabbit-like might be Crab-eating Mongoose, they are common in the river beds too.
Burmese Hare seems to stick to open areas, I haven't seen this species in KK yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

01 Mar 2016 22:21 - 01 Mar 2016 22:24 #3465 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic K Krachan drying out
Or who knows one of the Bamboo Rat species. Not commonly seen, at least in my experience. I might have only seen it once, and even that sighting I am not 100% sure about.

And let's add one other contender in the small-mammal-category: the Brush-tailed Porcupine, though not sure if they are sometimes active in daytime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

02 Mar 2016 05:59 #3466 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic K Krachan drying out
ah yes... I think it must have been a Crab-eating mongoose by looking at pics, but it definitely took off fast and seemed to buck as it ran... cheers guys

09 Mar 2016 17:08 #3502 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic K Krachan drying out
Hi all,

Some good news from Kaeng Krachan; yesterday afternoon we got some rain. It started with a bit light rain for about 5-7 minutes, soon after we got a proper rainy-season style shower which continued for half hour or so. I am pretty sure more of the vegetation is blessed for another 3-4 weeks. I am though not sure how much of the park got that rain! Back at Ban Krang I met P'Pong, you can imagine the extra smile on his face! :)

Cheers,
Rushen

10 Mar 2016 08:03 - 10 Mar 2016 13:15 #3505 by Paul T
Excellent news Rushen! BKK has also been getting much more humid this past week.

18 Mar 2016 14:24 #3543 by Paul T
I just saw on the news theres a big forest fire in KK - and they were discussing the theory that it was set by local hunters.

18 Mar 2016 15:08 #3544 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic K Krachan drying out
Humm.. That is very bad news!.. And so typical to blame "local hunters", what, hunters sets fire on their hunting habitat??

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.