× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

K Krachan drying out

23 Mar 2016 12:08 - 23 Mar 2016 12:09 #3575 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic K Krachan drying out
Well done Rushen - an example to us all !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Mar 2016 14:52 #3577 by WT admin
I am not making a comment by posting this, nor a judgment ...........

www.dailynews.co.th/regional/387292

08 Apr 2016 08:42 #3664 by WT admin
Whats the current water situation at km 16-18? Any water in the stream yet?

08 Apr 2016 19:29 #3665 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic K Krachan drying out
I was there today, I was surprised to see that small pools of water at KM 18-19 that I had seen just two days ago were now gone. Further up, nothing, its completely stopped flowing and even the small pools were disappearing fast.

Good news is that as I left at about 5.00PM rain had began to fall, looked like a good thunder storm was brewing up.

Geoff

08 Apr 2016 20:15 #3666 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic K Krachan drying out
Ahh! Nice!.. I saw some dark clouds moving towards us here at KK town earlier. I checked on various cloud maps, they weren't showing any clouds at all.

Up until the last minute we weren't sure whether we will do it or not, but tomorrow morning two of us will be at checkpoint from around 6 am and do some cleaning towards Ban Krang. We are hoping passing by cars will take shots for FB again. We just thought that Saturday before Songkran may be a good time to try this. If we are not exhausted we may repeat this Sunday or Monday. :)

... so, a bit rain is perfect timing! :)

Cheers,

Rushen

09 Apr 2016 10:22 #3667 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic K Krachan drying out
We expect to be in KK on the 18th this month on the first stop of our much anticipated trip round the national parks and wildlife sanctuaries in the south.
Hope to meet Rushen when we get there but in the meantime I have a couple of questions.

Is Ban Krang still closed to camping and Phanoen Thung still open ?

I see there is a camping ground at the HQ, how far is this from Ban Krang ? I see on a web site it says 15KM but Google maps puts it at 32KM. I ask because I would like to have a good wander round ban Krang and if there is no camping there I have to work out how to get there particularly for early mornings and evenings.

Robby

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

09 Apr 2016 17:37 #3669 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic K Krachan drying out
Camping is currently open in Ban Krang and Phanoen Thung, you should go straight to Ban Krang and avoid the HQ area altogether, its not actually in a forested area, and there is nothing of interest there.

Ban Krang has a little restaurant with basic food, anything else bring it with you. Bird activity is currently very high with the breeding season approaching.

Good luck.

09 Apr 2016 20:00 - 10 Apr 2016 11:27 #3670 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic K Krachan drying out
I will gladly join you one or two days around those days. :)

The km 15 refers to the distance from start of that road 1.7 km EAST of the main checkpoint. Basically this;

goo.gl/maps/yPB2tz7apbR2

... and, the distance from HQ to Ban Krang is 35 km;

goo.gl/maps/W2pezS2wHu22

As Geoff pointed out, there is not much interesting around HQ area. Better to head directly to Ban Krang or Phanoen Thung.

Cheers,

Rushen

10 Apr 2016 10:08 #3676 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic K Krachan drying out
Thanks,
Great to hear that Ban Krang is open for camping that will be our first stop for 3 or 4 nights depending on whet happens. Then up to Phanoen Thung for another 3 or 4.

90 day report tomorrow then sit tight throughout Songkran, will give you a phone call when we get close Rushen.

Robby

PS. If there is anyone else around when we are there come and say HI.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

22 Apr 2016 16:15 #3706 by danielwillcox
Replied by danielwillcox on topic K Krachan drying out
Hi all,

Any more news on the situation in KK? Which campsites are still open?

I'm going to be visiting there in early May for a few days - I'm an avid mammal watcher and I've worked as a field biologist in the region. Any tips on where might still have some water in KK would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2023 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.