× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

Night Drives/Walks

• VMFSTUD
  • VMFSTUD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Leech Bait
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #3472 by VMFSTUD
Night Drives/Walks was created by VMFSTUD
Hello.
As I am new I would like to introduce myself first. I am Damian(31) from Germany, studying Veterinary Medicine, very interessted in wildlife and wildlife photography. I like to travel to southeast Asia to enjoy the wonderful nature. I am very happy to find this Forum!
I am going to visit Kaeng Krachan NP in the end of March and would like to know if it is allowed to drive at night on the road between Park entrance and Ban Krang Campsite to spot animals? Or wouldn't you recommand it because it might be to dangerous (bad road/elephant encounters)? Night Walks are only allowed at the campsites? Thank you.
Kind regards, Damian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #3475 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Night Drives/Walks
Hi Damian,

No, night activities are not allowed in Kaeng Krachan :( . I guess the main reason is the risk of running into elephants. Walking in the dark just on the camp ground area should be fine, but as soon as you wonder off into the jungle or onto the roads away from the camp, the rangers won't be happy. And to be honest, if you have no experience in the Asian jungles I am not sure if I would recommend it.
Anyway, on the camp and its forest edges you can find various interesting creatures. Not sure what you are after, but I have recorded quite a list of snakes and other reptiles around the camp, as well as several nocturnal birds, and quite a list of mammals (this does include elephant, so watch out a bit...).

Very few parks in Thailand allow any night activities. Khao Yai national park offers a night safari service. Together with 2 park staff members (1 driver and 1 spotlighting assistant) you will drive a fixed route. It partly depends on the driver (hopefully not too fast driving) and the spotting skills of the assistant whether you will actually see anything. I have done many of these night safaris and seen some cool stuff, but being nature it's just a lottery, some nights are great others are not.
Apart from Khao Yai, I only know off Khao Sok national park where local tour operators offer guided night walks. Not sure if this is really on national park ground or in a kind of buffer zone, but it seems like the park authorities allow it. Though, not sure if they would allow you to go out unguided.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VMFSTUD

• VMFSTUD
  • VMFSTUD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Leech Bait
More
2 years 7 months ago #3476 by VMFSTUD
Replied by VMFSTUD on topic Night Drives/Walks
Ok, thank you. Hopefully I will find some animals inside the Camp. Some Birdeating Spiders would be very nice and snakes too.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph