× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

Tracks less traveled.

1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #3924 by Robby L
I had planned to spend my last few days at Kaeng Krachan before the annual closure going farther down tracks than I had been on before. On my list was the track up the stream on the left before the road starts to go up the hill (KM 18), the track on the right between the second and third stream crossing and the track down from 27.5KM.

After looking at the map at Ban Krang I also added what is called the Japanese Prince Trail which I walked one morning without seeing anything of interest. The prince has obviously not used this track for some time as it is somewhat overgrown and poorly marked.

I missed out on farther investigation of the 27.5 KM track for when I got part way down I could hear the pump going so turned round and headed up again.
I did go farther into the forest on the 18 KM track up the stream where they have recently built a series of berms. The track is easy to follow and crosses the stream several times. I went probably between one and two KM without seeing any sign of mammals and only a couple of flocks of Bronzed Drongo. I presume this is the bottom of the track that goes to the waterfalls I have seen written about as starting around KM 21.

I went up the track (KY?) between streams 2 and 3 past the old hide and carried on past a large fallen tree and across a dry stream bed then turned left up an easy ridge. There were many tracks at this point going both down and straight ahead into what looked like a different catchment. There is the odd old blaze on some trees on the way up the ridge which I followed till the ridge started to get steeper, good looking quite open forest but again no animal or bird sign other than a few scrapes.
There was fresh elephant sign lower down, probably the same elephant that had been wandering round the road. I want to go farther into these areas but I wont get back there until probably March next year.

The last morning I went down the road past the Youth Camp to the waterhole before the barrier which had been left up overnight allowing an elephant to come out of the staff only area, its footprints were clearly seen in the mud on the road by the waterhole along with many deer tracks.Something black moved off through the trees on the side of the road as I went past possibly a (the) bear.

On the way back I branched off and went back along the road the goes around the top of the Youth Camp, there is a T intersection not far up where the left hand branch goes to where there I have always seen animal sign both cattle and deer from there it gets overgrown, I haven’t attempted to push through but maybe another time. The right hand road has a fallen tree over it and from there it is an easy (drivable) road down to join up with the youth camp road, there is always bird activity up there and this time I was frustrated by woodpeckers I could hear but not see.

A Banded Broadbill and Brush-tailed Porcupine were the only new species for me from the trip.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok Decline