× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

North KKC

• Robby L
  • Robby L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Never Forgotten
More
1 year 3 months ago - 11 months 1 week ago #4452 by Robby L
North KKC was created by Robby L

Sign of the wild East, yea these are real bullet holes not the stick on type.

While researching a route to Thai Prachan National Park I came across this waterfall which must be one of the few if not the only access point to the north of Kaeng Krachan. The access road is dirt for the last 9KM and the last 4KM from the last banana plantation is definitely 4WD although there are places where you can actually get up into second gear.

A little bit of the road.

From the end of the road it is about another 500M to a KM to the waterfall up a reasonably easy walking track, the waterfall itself is nothing flash and is on a side branch of the main stream, not a lot of water in the stream and even less in the waterfall. There is a ranger station of to the side of the road in but I saw no activity there and drove straight past.

Asian Fairy Bluebird, male.

It is big virgin forest with plenty of bird-life but no mammal sign, difficult to get good photos but walking the road might produce better results. I stayed up there for one night and walked the waterfall trail. If anyone is interested in having a look the GPS marks for the access road are; 13.186821 – 99.565140. But don’t go when there is or recently has been a lot of rain the road is bad enough without water on it.

Bar-winged Flycatcher-shrike

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #4453 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic North KKC
Thanks for the info... I may well take a look on Saturday... The bullet holes don't look too welcoming tho.. Are there any facilities up there or at least any water??? Was it a camp ground you stayed at??

• Robby L
  • Never Forgotten
More
1 year 3 months ago #4454 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic North KKC
No facilities at all only clean water from the stream to wash in, no camping ground as such but plenty of space in the small parking area for a tent.

I sleep in the vehicle so I can stay anywhere, take all my food and drinking water.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

More
1 year 3 months ago #4455 by bootly66
Thanks... yes , me too sleep in the back of the truck

More
1 year 3 months ago #4456 by bootly66
Just err-ing on the side of caution... Is there a telephone signal there?? If so which provider, if you know???

• Robby L
  • Never Forgotten
More
1 year 3 months ago #4457 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic North KKC
Dont know but probably not.

More
1 year 3 months ago #4459 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic North KKC
Very interesting Robby - I once tried to go myself - but when I got to the concrete weir crossing it started peeing it down with rain so I turned back - will have to have another look when I am well - many thanks!

More
1 year 3 months ago #4461 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic North KKC
Sounds great. Do you happen to know what elevation this is?
You mentioned virgin forest. Is it comparable to the forest around the river crossings in the main accessible area of KK (km 15 - 18)? Or would you describe it differently?

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph