× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

North KKC

More
1 year 5 months ago #4462 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic North KKC
Thanks for the valuable info about this place. :)

Paul; Glad to hear your are getting better. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Robby L
  • Robby L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Never Forgotten
More
1 year 5 months ago #4465 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic North KKC
Think you have the 2 places mixed up Paul the weir is in Thai Prachan NP

O F F. Not very high but it is bigger and steeper forest than Ban Krang area. The road in is not steep but has some fairly hairy places while the track up the stream is quite flat

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 1 month ago #4466 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic North KKC
Interesting - if you did not cross a small concrete weir then I was somewhere different or it got washed out as it was a year or so ago (not Thai Prakan though as I go there many times a year and know it very well). I was coming in on the 6026 - I will have to have a look again. All good stuff.

ADDENDUM: Same place - Robby entered from North, Paul was entering from South.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #4681 by Paul T
Just had an attempt at this one (entering from South) but the road is out and the barrier down after the spring, blocking access - found an alternative route but had to turn back as the track went to a one wheel bike track only. Hopefully they will get it open again soon.

Update - turned off my garmin car gps and went to google maps - found the northern route straight away and was at the substation in 30 minutes - going back tomorrow for an explore.

The garmin has a mind of its own and kept wanting to do the southern route through the hot spring - it’s going into the bin on Monday. (UPDATE: The Garmin map (admittedly quite old) has a portion of the track to the substation missing on my version causing this issue)

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #4682 by Paul T
I went the next day and followed Robby's instructions and it was an interesting location. Nice find Robby! The sub-station (5) is 6 k from the entrance to the waterfall track. We took two 4WD's and I can say it was hairy in some sections - you are not getting up in anything less than a good 4WD at the moment, the top sections (last 2 ks of the track) are very damaged now with very deep rivulets.

The track up is bit weird because you are in the park but its full of small plantations and local farmers/collectors. These start to clear in the last two 2 kilos and theres a lot of bamboo as its an old logging track. But when you get to the top theres a small parking area (by the sign in Robby's post above) that marks the end of the track - we would have overnighted at this place but being hammock campers the were no suitable pitches out in the open. We ended up staying overnight at the Sub-station - as Robby has already mentioned, no phone signal, no facilities for tourists (i.e. toilets) - but the rangers were very accommodating so we pitched up there for the night. There was a family of gibbons in the trees above the sub-station when we arrived which was a surprise as its right next to agricultural land.

From the top parking area you are literally straight onto the trail that follows the stream. The trees and forest directly around the stream are very nice and once you get to the waterfall it is quite heavenly - I was really impressed by the waterfall which is at the convergence of two mountain streams - I must admit I was not expecting it to be as big as it was nor the surrounding area as beautiful. The kind of place you drop your pack and spend a couple of hours snoozing - knowing that the world is in fact a beautiful place.

We also decided to explore some more and found a trail going up the hill side - which was bit of battle as it was severely overgrown in the top sections - the track culminated in what looked to be an old hunters camp strewn with old plastic water bottles (at least 100) and discarded sardine tins. The forest in this section and on the tops of the hills was not so good and lacked trees of any size - it resembled the lower sections of forest around Khao Sam Yot.

It was surprisingly dry with the exception of the immediate vicinity to the stream, most probably because the soil is mainly sand and cannot hold water, hence the poor tree growth at the high sections.

As with Robby we struggled to find any mammal sign and only identified muntjac from ground signs, no scat of any kind. I would suspect illegal local hunting may be/have been a factor.

Elevations - the track starts at 440 m ASL, the waterfall is at 490 and the "camp" 590.

In a nutshell - good - but not great re animal sign/road/hunting/locals. If they sorted out the road I would go and explore more, but the road is the major issue at the moment.
Attachments:

More
1 year 1 month ago #4683 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic North KKC
Thanks for all update. Gibbons there sounds indeed very interesting. It is always smalls signs like that which says a bit about what to expect in areas like this; leeches, gibbons, hornbills, etc.. 590 asl also interesting.

Nice names to keep in mind; "old hunters camp". :)

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph