× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

Phanoen Thung road work.. :(

• rushenb
  • rushenb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Naturalist
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #4477 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Phanoen Thung road work.. :(
All.. Heard from a friend; "Rumour is that the KK road project has been cancelled due to too many complaints.".. :)

(Edited), the rumor info is from Punjapa Phetsiri, you probably know from him. He says though it is 3rd hand info, has little credibility about cancellation.

Perhaps it is good to pass our concerns to the boss? In case as soon as possible..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #4478 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Phanoen Thung road work.. :(
This would have been thought up by someone in an office to attract more tourists and more money but the logistics of something like that would be horrific.

From seeing his sort of thing in action in other places the concrete would probably be mixed on site in concrete trucks meaning there would be a stream of heavily laden trucks carrying mix steel and cement.As has already been noted destruction of the entrance road and the road past Ban Krang.
There would also be dump areas where the concrete would be mixed and camps for the workers (Burmese).

It would be impossible to start from the top so the road would have to be widened to 2 lanes to let the concrete trucks pass to pour the next segment up the hill heavy machines need to do this. Could it be done in a year? very doubtful and imagine if the Bear or an Elephant wandered into a workers camp.

Bit of luck wiser heads will prevail.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

More
1 year 5 months ago #4479 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic Phanoen Thung road work.. :(
I think an open letter from all of us would be in order, shall we start collecting signatures? I would be happy to get it translated into Thai. Any suggestions as too the content?

More
1 year 5 months ago #4481 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Phanoen Thung road work.. :(
May also be a idea to have a word with some of the song tau lot as a paved road would probably affect their business.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

• rushenb
  • rushenb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Naturalist
More
1 year 5 months ago #4482 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Phanoen Thung road work.. :(
I am ok writing articles, but I don't have much experience of formal letters wouldn't feel confident composing one. However, I will gladly put my signature.

I think it is good to have a letter ready, but we don't necessarily have to send it until we have a clear confirmation the road construction will start.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #4692 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Phanoen Thung road work.. :(
UPDATE FROM ADMIN

These road works did not go ahead, due to technical reasons, in 2017 and the park roads are open as normal.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph