× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

Kaeng Krachan Season Opening 2017

22 Oct 2017 16:57 - 25 Nov 2017 10:37 #4661 by admin
admin created the topic: Kaeng Krachan Season Opening 2017
Just a reminder to everyone that Kaeng Krachan National Park will re-open to the public on Wednesday November 1st 2017. Some will be pleased to know that.......

a) As the road form Baan Krang to Panoenthung did not undergo repair as planned its a bit rough in some sections as the rains have taken away some of the soil back to bare rock.
b) Baan Krang has had some improvements - the carpark areas that were very muddy are now concreted (in front of visitors centre and toilets)
c) The new extension of Baan Krang camping area (above the visitor centre where the water tanks are) should be open.
d) Panoenthung has a new chief (very nice gentleman)

Heres hoping for a great open season and many sightings and photos for us all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2017 23:38 #4663 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Kaeng Krachan Annual Closure
Looking forward to explore the park again.

Another chance to see a Tapir ;-)
And the Mountain Pit Viper.
And another long list of cool creatures...

More
17 Nov 2017 19:12 #4704 by zuppi
zuppi replied the topic: Kaeng Krachan Annual Closure
I will be there the week after next, needless to say I'm very excited :-)
Regards from cold Switzerland

More
19 Nov 2017 19:36 - 19 Nov 2017 19:37 #4705 by jonathanbkk
jonathanbkk replied the topic: Kaeng Krachan Annual Closure
the new area for camping above Baan Krang is open and the bathroom/showers are quite nice so have at em before they get trounced

I camped there alone on a friday night with a new toy I bought called an Everest rooftop tent, nice place to set it up and glad to see the additional space to camp

Speaking of snakes, did manage to see this python on a morning walk down, he was being harassed by butterflies and would twitch everytime they landed
Attachments:

More
19 Nov 2017 20:17 #4706 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: Kaeng Krachan Annual Closure
Nice... what's the rate for those roof top tents??.. I kip in the truck..

More
19 Nov 2017 20:27 #4707 by jonathanbkk
Well I went with a Thule rack which they said would hold about 300kg quite easily and heard from a few others this is close to the case. I dont worry too much as most of the weight is over the top of the car so I cant seeing it being an issue. I was more worried about the noise of driving with it but its fine

My set up is in the picture below, thats actually taken at the new camp area in Baan Krang

Benefits for me on this style of camping is getting off the ground and being high enough to have slight advantage of breezes

Set up takes about 5 minutes, probably the only issue is that you cant use your car to drive to a trail head without having to pack it all back up. The other issue is they weigh about 70kg so its definitely not a 1 man job getting it onto the top of your car or truck if its tall like mine

Definitely seen their increase in popularity in Thailand though, was in Khao Yai recently and saw 5 of them scattered around
Attachments:

More
19 Nov 2017 21:19 - 19 Nov 2017 21:20 #4708 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Kaeng Krachan Annual Closure

jonathanbkk wrote: I camped there alone on a friday night with a new toy I bought called an Everest rooftop tent, nice place to set it up and glad to see the additional space to camp

A new car as well....sweetl!! You should have wandered down the hill I was camped in the sala all week incl Fri night.

More
19 Nov 2017 22:22 #4709 by jonathanbkk
Really? I did look for you, the Friday I was there was November 3rd

Yes finally I have some decent 4WD capability :)

More
19 Nov 2017 23:29 #4710 by onflipflops
Ah, I never thought about that but indeed having to pack it up for every drive you do is not exactly convenient, but I guess if you keep all the stuff organized and not make a mess inside the tent like I tend to do, haha, it probably is not that much work.

And interesting sighting of the reticulated python. Especially it being so visible, out in the open. But I guess he could disappear quickly in the nearby hole.

More
24 Nov 2017 09:28 #4714 by jonathanbkk
And speaking of KK, its been closed most of this week and likely this weekend due to the floods

Save yourself a trip if you were planning it

More
25 Nov 2017 01:30 #4715 by onflipflops
I met Mr Phong, boss of Ban Krang today (ah it is after midnight so I talked with him yesterday ;-) ) . He was on his way out to do the groceries, buy stock for the upcoming weekend. And he told it would open Saturday 25 NOV 2017.

More
25 Nov 2017 01:32 #4716 by onflipflops
The weather seemed to have calmed down. It was crazy couple days ago. So i understand the decision to close it. Lots of fallen trees according to Mr Phong.

More
29 Nov 2017 18:45 #4721 by wildambience
wildambience replied the topic: Kaeng Krachan Annual Closure
How cold does it get up at Paneong Thung camp at night in December? I'm packing my luggage this week, will be in KK for a few nights early next week. I'm hoping to visit Phu Khieo as well and imagine it would get chilly up there too - but cold enough for thermals at night or am I getting too carried away?!

More
01 Dec 2017 14:17 #4722 by onflipflops
I have not been to Phu Khieo in the winter season.
But for Kaeng Krachan at Panoen Thung I can tell it does get quite chilly (at least for my standards).
I have used two sleeping bags in the past to 'survive' the night. But I tend to get cold quite easily. I am not sure what the temperatures are up there.
I guess it will be comparable at that elevation with Khao Yai where it can drop to about 5 degrees Celsius in the morning on very cold days.

It can get quite windy at Panoen Thung, I am not sure if that is as much the case in December, I can not remember. But I would recommend to pack enough and rather be in the situation you brought too much than being cold at night.

More
01 Dec 2017 18:14 #4723 by wildambience
Thanks - I'll pack an extra layer or two just in case.

My nephew and I will be in KK Mon-Thurs next week so if anyone is there at same time come and say hi.

More
01 Dec 2017 21:42 #4724 by onflipflops
You mean you are there with Father's day?
Then I think you will see enough people that will come and say hi to you, haha.
Not exactly the best timing to visit a national park ;-)
Not sure if again the case, but most years it meant free entry for Thai nationals (don't worry foreigners will never get such a reduction ;-) )

More
02 Dec 2017 03:29 #4725 by wildambience
I didn't realise it was a public holiday! I'll see if we can reshuffle our plans and head up to Phu Khieo instead, and come back to KK the following week.

More
02 Dec 2017 06:42 #4726 by onflipflops
That could perhaps be a better decision, though I have no experience with Phu Khieo during public holidays, but it's more remote location and limited activity options for the average visitor, I guess it will certainly not get as crowded as Kaeng Krachan during that day.

Enjoy your time!

More
05 Dec 2017 10:08 - 05 Dec 2017 10:09 #4728 by jonathanbkk
It was nuts in KK this last weekend, I went up Saturday morning first thing at 5:30am upon opening....me and about 50++ trucks yuck. To get to the top usually takes 1 hour, with all the trucks it took over 2 hours. Feel bad for anyone camping at the top this weekend, it was a total mad house :)

I did manage to get very lucky and iphone video (sadly my camera and long lens wasnt fast enough) a Wild leopard cat (Prionailurus bengalensis) in the afternoon, first time for me in this park to see this

On another note, Thor Thip trail is quite active currently with animal tracks. Even found a mud wallow recently visited by a Tapir, markings and tracks by a leopard, pig, deer, among others
The following user(s) said Thank You: Me too

More
06 Dec 2017 00:23 #4729 by Me too
Me too replied the topic: Kaeng Krachan Annual Closure
Sounds like Yosemite before they brought in the buses.

More