× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

Kaeng Krachan Season Opening 2017

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #4725 by wildambience
Replied by wildambience on topic Kaeng Krachan Season Opening 2017
I didn't realise it was a public holiday! I'll see if we can reshuffle our plans and head up to Phu Khieo instead, and come back to KK the following week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #4726 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Kaeng Krachan Season Opening 2017
That could perhaps be a better decision, though I have no experience with Phu Khieo during public holidays, but it's more remote location and limited activity options for the average visitor, I guess it will certainly not get as crowded as Kaeng Krachan during that day.

Enjoy your time!

More
1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #4728 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Kaeng Krachan Season Opening 2017
It was nuts in KK this last weekend, I went up Saturday morning first thing at 5:30am upon opening....me and about 50++ trucks yuck. To get to the top usually takes 1 hour, with all the trucks it took over 2 hours. Feel bad for anyone camping at the top this weekend, it was a total mad house :)

I did manage to get very lucky and iphone video (sadly my camera and long lens wasnt fast enough) a Wild leopard cat (Prionailurus bengalensis) in the afternoon, first time for me in this park to see this

On another note, Thor Thip trail is quite active currently with animal tracks. Even found a mud wallow recently visited by a Tapir, markings and tracks by a leopard, pig, deer, among others
The following user(s) said Thank You: Me too

More
1 year 1 week ago #4729 by Me too
Replied by Me too on topic Kaeng Krachan Season Opening 2017
Sounds like Yosemite before they brought in the buses.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph