× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

Kaeng Krachan April 2018

3 weeks 3 days ago - 3 weeks 3 days ago #4899 by Paul T
I've not posted pictures for a while as I have been concentrating on the TWC Archive . But heres a selection from just last week in Kaeng Krachan National Park - the weathers still a bit weird with dry sunny days but the forest is still quite saturated but the small dreams seem to be finally drying BUT theres still some big downpours. We should be looking at the eventual onset of the rains in the mountains coming now but who knows with this years weather.

Anyway - here's some from last weeks stay .........
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago - 3 weeks 3 days ago #4900 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Kaeng Krachan April 2018
It was good week, and it was only broken by my dire need to get to washing machine because after the first night of 27 degrees I needed to get my sleeping bag and pillow to a washing machine - urghhh its was hard getting to sleep with the aroma of dry sweat.

Attachments:

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #4902 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Kaeng Krachan April 2018
Good one

I was wondering what things were like down there as I was looking at a few days there in a week or so but the forecast is for rain for about the next 10 days so I am waiting to see.

Looks lie we may not get a dry season this year.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago - 3 weeks 3 days ago #4905 by jonathanbkk
Stunning pictures Paul, what was the outcome of the bird and snake?

I was there yesterday, rain started at 7am and didnt stop all day much to the demise of the bird groups there

For me, it was far worse, heading up to walk the trails at about kilometer 20 I hit the most perfectly placed rock and popped TWO tires on my truck (front and back left), what luck is that?

Obviously with only one spare I was in serious trouble, took most of the day to sort the issue. Ford 24 hour roadside assistance for my 1 year old Everest was pathetic and wouldn't help, insurance wanted to tow it back out but theres no chance they would have made it up the grade to get to my truck nor would I have allowed them to bring it down hitting every low lying tree along the way

In the end the rangers of KK were the most help, they arranged for a 2nd spare to make it down into Petchaburi so I could find a better solution (by then my insurance was happy to help since I was in town). I owe them pizzas and donuts for their monumental effort and assistance next time I am there

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #4907 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Kaeng Krachan April 2018

jonathanbkk wrote: ...... what was the outcome of the bird and snake?

The barbet won! About a millisecond after this shot it jumped out of the hole delivered a brutal peck, got back in the hole and the snake just disappeared - of course I missed the shot or that's the one I would have posted!!

The whole thing played out over two hours, from the first barbet alarm call to this picture - the snake moved incredibly slowly, it was amazing to witness, 99% of the time I could not see the snake, because of camo and slow speed, which climbed up an adjacent tree then crossed over and down the barbets tree. What with that and waiting for light direction to change I was at this tree from 6:45 a.m to 3:45 p.m. !!

More
Time to create page: 0.695 seconds