Remember Me
Register
Facebook Login
× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

Kaeng Krachan - General Notes

02 May 2013 12:40 - 02 Mar 2015 06:56 #968 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Kaeng Krachan - General Notes
Does anyone know where the trail at Km 18 goes to? (it starts at the uphill section to Paneonthung, right next to the car park of the small concrete water catchment dam).

I walked it for about 3 ks, about 2 months ago, but did not come to an end of the trail, which seemed to be moving up the valley parallel to the road.

I thought it may be Pranburi Waterfall but the Baan Maka map seems to say that trail is further up the road. Maybe the Baan Maka map shows an alternative entrance to the same trail?

Anyone know?

From the DNP Site:

Pranburi Waterfall

This 3 levels waterfall is located on the upper Pranburi River, in the valley just south of the steep hill-climb at Km18-23 on the Khao Panoen Thung Road. It can be visited on one-day hike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 May 2013 19:04 #969 by Painted Jezebel
Replied by Painted Jezebel on topic Kaeng Krachan - General Notes
I was there 2 months ago. Myself and a few friends from Malaysia and Singapore took that path, it had been recommended to me by a Japanese friend, we walked about 5Km in and gave up. It should be good for insects, but we saw very little, it may have been a bad time of the year. The 3 streams crossing the road earlier on, however, were superb then for puddling species.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WT admin

07 May 2013 09:41 #971 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Kaeng Krachan - General Notes
Well here is what little I know of this new trail after speaking to a Ranger about it.

Originally it was created for the Thai Boy Scouts and is about 12km in length. It starts about half way up the mountain, with trail markers on the left hand side of the road.

I have managed to find what I think is the starting point of the trail (see picture) and the Ranger confirmed this (DO NOT take his information as certain).

I investigated it a few weeks ago from the top. The first 50 minutes was a very steep decent (steeper than Thor Thip) however there has been some basic trail work and its fairly safe. As it is near water there are many tracks and wallows along the way with good tree markings for animals in the area.

At the base of this is the stream that you will follow down. Decent markings exist on the trees but the trail itself seems very advanced.

My trip down was spent sitting and staking out a dhole who was circling a group of Stump Tailed Macaques, which if you have ever heard their warning call, sounds like they are dying. Too far off to get good views but made the trip very exciting

As it was dry season and I doubt many travel this trail there are tons of tracks in and around the stream.

I did see quite a lot of Elephant activity as well thus you will have to factor in possibly getting stuck on the trail and having to turn back

From this point and according to the Ranger the trail follows the stream down until it reaches the base of the mountain and the car parking area.

If you want a serious adventure then this is what you would probably need to attempt this trail.

-A Ranger guide who has done it before or helped with marking the trail
-Garmin GPS (even then you are in a river basin and I lost the signal a few times)
-2 Cars, one for the base of the mountain, one at the trail head or a ride up to the trail point
-Start as early as possible at the trail head
-2L+ of water and food to last

Attachments:

07 May 2013 13:05 #973 by Paul T
Thank you both Les and Jonathan,

great info thanks

05 Aug 2013 08:44 - 02 Mar 2015 06:57 #1198 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Kaeng Krachan - General Notes
Interesting read of Mark OShea's visit to Kaeng Krachan in 2002

Mark OShea Trip to Kaeng Krachan

if anyone finds any other interesting stuff about Kaeng Krachan on the web pls post a link as I am trying to get as much info as I can as we are moving our camera trap project to Kaeng Krachan in November.

05 Aug 2013 11:12 #1199 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Kaeng Krachan - General Notes
Great news about the camera trap project, it will surely produce some interesting results!

On a slightly more negative note I heard from several sources at the park that the remaining dirt road section from Sam Yod to Baan Krang will be tarmac'd later this year. Apparently the budget has already been approved and it is a definite go ahead. Given the speed some people drive through this section already, imagine what speeds they will drive at now with a good condition road..This has to be bad news for wildlife. One can only hope that a series of high and regular speedbumps will be put in place to slow down the weekend warriors..

01 Mar 2015 13:14 - 01 Mar 2015 18:05 #2718 by Paul T

jonathanbkk wrote: Well here is what little I know of this new trail after speaking to a Ranger about it.

At the base of this is the stream that you will follow down. Decent markings exist on the trees but the trail itself seems very advanced.

From this point and according to the Ranger the trail follows the stream down until it reaches the base of the mountain and the car parking area.

We ended up, quite by accident, in the same area at the weekend after a plan to do something else on the same trail did not work out (too dry) so we headed to the bottom of Jonathan's trail but turned right instead of left. The Mae Nam Pran Waterfall (AKA Pranburi Waterfall) is just 300 meters away. Its a little less than impressive though ;+)

The forest is very nice though - the climb out less nice ;+) I think we will try and get a pic in the wet season but boy the climb in and out will be hard - fancy it Jonathan? We saw a huge tusked boar down there but I could not move to get the camera out as he had locked eyes on me. It was a veritable stand-off, him just 30 meters away - but me unable to move without making him bolt.

pardon the quality of the pic - 80-400 at 3200 ISO - hopefully Ed has a WA pic.

Ok heres a better pic from Ed

Attachments:

01 Mar 2015 23:29 - 01 Mar 2015 23:40 #2719 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Kaeng Krachan - General Notes
You are better off to park your car at km18, hitch to the starting point at about km21 - 22. Saves you the hike back up ;) Though it means you need to hike a few kms following the river downstream, but the trail is easy going, even with the 44 river crossings (starting from the km 21-22)
Nice trail, haven't had too many exciting sightings on the various occasions I walked it. Some gibbons, Dusky langurs, Crab-eating Mongooses, giant squirrels, pig-tailed macaque, stump-tailed macaque, wild boar, vine snakes, various hornbills, quite often Grey Peacock-pheasant, and sometimes Blue Pitta, but did find Leopard scrapes on various occasions, Tapir dung, old Gaur foot prints, a muntjac kill, Dhole tracks, and enough bear tracks on the trees. So it certainly has potential, if you are very lucky ;)
Starting at km24 is not recommendable. Trail is non-existent much of the time, and some quite dangerous passages when getting down along the higher Pranburi falls (max 10m high, maybe even less 7 - 8m?) which are further up stream from the ones you photographed. One minor mistake and you tumble down and are left in the jungle with some broken legs or worse.
Here some images of the highest fall. Not exactly the most beautiful waterfall around...

Attachments:

02 Mar 2015 06:47 #2720 by Paul T
That ones much nicer! How much further is that?

02 Mar 2015 14:21 #2721 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Kaeng Krachan - General Notes
I think it was only few hundred meters up stream, at max 400-500m, probably a bit less. I have the location of all three (the first three) GPS mapped at ThaiNationalParks.com (KK section, click map link on RHC and zoom to area to see icons pop-up)..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph