× The park is the third largest in Thailand. It covers an area of 300 square kilometers, including tropical seasonal forests and grasslands. Its altitude mostly ranges from 400–1,000 m above sea level. There are 3,000 species of plants, 320 species of birds, and 67 species of mammals, recording in this, Thailand's most famous National Park.

Foreigners in Thailand; Entrance fees Khao Yai np

29 Mar 2015 00:27 - 29 Mar 2015 00:46 #2787 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Foreigners in Thailand; Entrance fees Khao Yai np
One last suggestion ;)
The numbers are not published seperately anymore on the Dnp website, but since the total number they publish now is similar like for 2012, I presume the percentage of foreigners is the same. I remember that back in 2012 there were 790000 Thai visitors and 30000 foreigners that visited Khao Yai national park according to the DNP website. Surely there were lots of children, but they did not show what percentage.
To make counting easy I just count everybody as an adult.
790.000 x 40 baht is 31.600.000 baht Thai residents
30.000 x 400 baht is 12.000.000 baht foreign tourists
Total is almost 44 million baht.

Wouldn't it look much more welcoming if the rates would be the same for everybody, regardless where they come from? I am convinced everybody here would welcome the idea.
So, what if they would charge every visitor 60 baht? Surely that would not cause any significant drop in the large Thai visitors number, and neither for the foreigners (only a possible increase). So, then you have a total of 820.000 happy visitors that pay 60 baht.
820.000 x 60 baht is a bit over 49 million baht.
>5 million baht more profit, only happy faces, nobody thinking he/ she was overcharged/ discriminated. And a gain in profit!
Increase it to 100 baht and even with a possible slight Thai visitor number drop, the park would gain a lot more profit.

Just an idea. Perhaps I will try to sent it to the DNP.
Thanks for reading ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Apr 2015 20:16 #2794 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Foreigners in Thailand; Entrance fees Khao Yai np
Well I felt the burn this weekend at Khao Yai as well, handed over my license, work permit, and SCB credit card only to be told they do nothing for me anymore, then to find out the price change as well.

For me what burns me is that I pay tax to Thailand and have so for years, outside of setting up a LTF I cant get any of that money back, and as I have heard it 100% of foreigners who have work permits pay tax vs. the 3 million Thais who pay it (and the more than 7-10 million who avoid it). You would think that from paying tax you would have some royalties such as with national park discounts....blah my rant wont get us anywhere lol

Confirmed parks I know of that do not honor Drivers License/Work Permits etc and from my experience:

-Huay Kha Kaeng
-Kaeng Krachan
-Kui Buri (they just laughed at me which got my blood boiling)
-Pang Sida (if you rent a room or pay to camp they seem to avoid the payment though)
-Sadly, now Khao Yai

I wonder how many of the 30,000 foreigners visting Khao Yai last year were infuenced by the parks World Heritage status?

07 Apr 2015 21:47 #2797 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Foreigners in Thailand; Entrance fees Khao Yai np
hi Jonathan,

Agree with you 100%.

I am surprised to read though that you don't get the Thai rate in Huai Kha Khaeng, Kui Buri, and Pang Sida. I have had no problems in these parks. Kui Buri I have only been once, last January . In the other two I have been multiple times and always without any problem.
Keep trying I would say...

08 Apr 2015 09:49 - 09 Apr 2015 08:45 #2798 by Paul T
Interesting - I have always paid full rate for PS and HKK. Maybe they don't like me :silly:

09 Apr 2015 02:27 #2800 by onflipflops
I have always visited these parks with my wife who is Thai. So maybe that made it more obvious to them that I'm living in Thailand? I don't know.
I'm surprised to hear this. I really thought Kaeng Krachan used to be the only park until Khao Yai changed their policy. Guess I must have been fortunate.

19 Apr 2015 18:17 #2805 by marcnus
Pay the first day thai price at Kaeng Krachan then foreigner price the following day
Thai price at Kui Buri

04 Oct 2016 20:11 #3978 by NN
Interesting the different experiences. I've been to Pang Sida twice, paid full pruce both times, even speaking Thai, complaining, showing them my licence, mentioning WP etc., they were quite nice and apologetic though.

I've never paid farang at KY, always using the southern entrance. Last year I went and they wanted farang price, again very apologetic and pointing to a polite sign explaining the new rules. I had my camera on the passenger seat and was looking silly in camo gear. It really leaves a bad taste that lasts through the whole trip, so I decided that I wouldn't enter and starting to reverse. Amazingly the guy called me back and gave me Thai price. Maybe it was because I didn't complain (rare for me), just said 'mapenrai'. A few weeks later I went with my nephew and was given Thai price without question.

A friend with permanent residency went a few weeks ago and was charged full price. He complained bitterly to no avail.

05 Oct 2016 14:03 - 07 Oct 2016 08:30 #3981 by WT admin
I have always had the same experience (cost) with the southern entrance as well, but I have not been for a long time.

07 Oct 2016 00:52 #3982 by onflipflops
I haven't entered that often at the Southern Khao Yai entrance, as I live on the Northern side, but the last few times they also just charged me the foreign rate on the Southern side. And these days it will be hard to get in any national park for the Thai resident fee as a foreigner. Most parks seem to have been informed to no longer allow that. Still, indeed in some remote parks, or less popular entrances, depending on the person at the boot, you might be lucky every now and then. But don't count on it!
Some of the officers on the Northern Khao Yai entrance still get confused a bit when they see me, they know me very well, and for years they let me in for the Thai fee. And they now feel bad for having to charge the foreign fee. They apologize, but I know it is not their fault.

Please, remember that they risk loosing their job, when you 'force' them to let you in for the Thai fee. If someone finds out, they are in big trouble.
I know the risk that anyone would find out is pretty small. In all those years only twice I have been checked for the tickets in Khao Yai while inside the park. But I would feel really bad if someone that had no influence whatsoever on these rules loses his/ her job because of me wanting to save a few hundred baht.

I totally understand (and share) the frustration, I really do not agree with these two-tier rates, but keep in mind that the people at the entrances have nothing to say in these parks, and just have to obey the rules. If you feel like making a complaint, much better to go to the head quarters and talk with some higher rank officers, or even try to get in touch with the top of the DNP, though I doubt it will make a change. Funnily the new DNP website has a "Comment/ survey"-section (nps.dnp.go.th/comment.php), but you have to register as a website member first and can only do so by filling out your passport details (or Thai ID card). I love it. It's so smart. Because in about a year, they will publish a report telling that they did not receive a single complaint! The services provided by the DNP are just perfect!

Last note on the entrance fees. I have written this before on this forum, and know it might not apply to each park as it depends on the percentage of foreign versus thai visitors, but for Khao Yai, if they would charge 60 baht for both Thais and foreigners (so every one paying the same), they would make more money than they do under the current two-tier price scheme.
Though perhaps it would be nice if the entrance fee for Khao Yai would go up to 400 baht for Thais, then it will be quiet, and return to be Thailand's best park. I haven't visited Khao Yai that much this year, but every visit I am reminded why I love this park so much, and why even despite the poor management, the development, and the high visitor numbers, I still consider it the best all-round wildlife watching park in the country. No other park has offered me the same 'consistent' results as Khao Yai does. But I know that is pretty much just me, haha.

07 Oct 2016 12:50 #3984 by Paul T
I agree with all - the double standard pricing policy should be abolished as its not ethical. Although I doubt it will because there are simply no Thai citizens complaining about it as far as I can see ;+)

Accepting that I/we will probably pay more, albeit begrudgingly, for the next few years at least, I find the differing amounts to affect me somewhat. I don't know if its just me but .............. 200 baht I have no issues, 300 baht is getting bit high but no major complaints from me for a weekend respite. At 400, I am actually avoiding going unless I don't really have an option, and the few 500 bahters I have been I would purposefully avoid going.

Now I know I spend more on fuel in a weekend than I do paying a 400/500 baht entrance fee but theres just something in me that says the value has been already set at 40/60 baht - and 400/500 baht is just too much. It actually annoys me.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com