× The park is the third largest in Thailand. It covers an area of 300 square kilometers, including tropical seasonal forests and grasslands. Its altitude mostly ranges from 400–1,000 m above sea level. There are 3,000 species of plants, 320 species of birds, and 67 species of mammals, recording in this, Thailand's most famous National Park.

3 nights in Khao Yai

30 Jun 2017 13:48 #4460 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic 3 nights in Khao Yai
How many people are camping there mid week Robby? I was wondering if the rainy season scares most campers away - I don't like crowds ;+)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jul 2017 08:25 #4463 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic 3 nights in Khao Yai
I dont like crowds either Paul and I find that sometimes even 2 can be a crowd.

Between 10 or 20 I suppose, camps that is not total people. There were also day visitors, the Jungle Adventures lot were there every day, a mob of young farang on the 33km trail one day and what appeared to be a Japanese film crew on another. But OK if you get there early.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

01 Jul 2017 08:32 #4464 by Robby L
I should add that I stayed, in the vehicle, right down the far end of the camp ground by 2 toilet blocks I was the only one in that area and had the toilets and showers to myself.

Also I was not approached by any staff and not asked to pay a camping fee nor did I offer any as 450b to get is quite enough.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

10 Aug 2017 18:49 - 10 Aug 2017 18:53 #4532 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic 3 nights in Khao Yai
I called by this week - Lam Tha Klong camp site had lots of people in, Pha Gluay Mai campsite was empty .... and my plan for a stroll to see if the Khao Yai crocodile was sunbathing was thwarted by this....

Attachments:

13 Aug 2017 10:41 #4538 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic 3 nights in Khao Yai
Haha, yes it is still closed.

Unbelievable really. Clearly shows that it does not require an awful lot of knowledge about nature to run a national park...
Next time they close the whole park due to presence of:
elephants, 2 species of bear, dholes, and who knows a lost tiger
2 krait species, 2 viper species, king cobra, monocled cobra, and potentially Siamese Spitting cobra (though have to confirm the latter within the park boundaries...), 2 coral snake species, and two species of python that grow large enough to kill a human.

15 Aug 2017 13:19 #4561 by maglim26
Replied by maglim26 on topic 3 nights in Khao Yai
I read with interest your recent hike in KHao Yai NP ; like to ask from a tourist and avid wildlife photographer's perspective, how accessible and practical is it to do self hike (no guides) in the NP ? A group of us (4px) is contemplating whether to hire an agency or DIY, getting own transport into the NP (from Pak Chong), having daily commute from accomodation there. Easy to get local transport there from Pak Chong to NP and back ? And hire transport from Pak Chong back to Bangkok?
With the oldest NP in Thailand, I suppose there are plenty of endemic species based there, wondering what the the chances of sighting in Nov?
Any advice?

15 Aug 2017 15:35 #4562 by Robby L
Hi

I will answer as best I can.

No problem to do hikes without a guide but you will need transport to get around the park and you will be required to each pay an entry fee (400b+50b for car) every day you go into the park from outside.Deer are very easy to see as they are around the camp grounds and it is always possible to see other species of mammals and plenty of birds.You will be given a map when you enter the park which shows the trails and camping places.

There are buses from BKK to Pak Chong and then hire a car to go to the park would probably be the best option it is possible to use hire motorbikes but I hesitate to recommend them as over 70% of road deaths here involve motorbikes.

It is possible to stay in the park have a look at this site for costs khaoyaiguide.com/2010/12/16/lodges_camps...o-yai-national-park/

Nov would be a good time to visit.

Robby

15 Aug 2017 16:09 #4563 by maglim26
Thanks Robby for the prompt response. I reckon you are a regular trekker and photographer there, nice picture of the Bright-headed Cistacola!
Its hard to know which are the reliable trekking and wildlife agencies based in Thailand, i reckon for tourists like myself, we just have to keep searching, reading online recommendations.

16 Aug 2017 01:38 #4565 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic 3 nights in Khao Yai
Bring a compass (even the cheapest ones could potentially save your life) and study even the most basic maps to have a slight idea where the roads and rivers are. A compass will bring you home if you end up lost. Some trails are as Robby mentioned easy to follow, but not all trails are like that. Some can get very confusing, and it is not uncommon that people get lost. Best to avoid that, first of all for your own sake, but also for all of us, as I fear one day they will no longer allow people to go out by themselves when some incidents reach the news. Which would be a major shame.

Be careful, stay at a distance if you meet elephants or other large wildlife, and just use common sense. It's not a zoo ;-)

Surely your experience will be a lot better with a good guide. You will see more and do not have to worry about getting lost.

There is definitely difference in quality between the local companies in Pak Chong area, but in the years I have stayed around there, I have noticed that all local operators are reliable companies, at least, no need to worry that they run off with your money, haha.
But like I said, there is of course difference in quality when it comes to the guides. Level of English speaking, spotting skills, and wildlife knowledge vary a lot.
Following online reviews does indeed help to find the better options.

Good luck!

17 Aug 2017 14:59 #4571 by maglim26
Thats certainly good helpful information, Yes, we may engage a guide for multiple entries into the park as we intend to stay around Mu Si area and enter the park on a daily basis.
I gather the weather around Aug - Oct has higher average rainfall but I am sure that does not deter you all from continuing wildlife and hiking opportunities there :)

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com