Facebook Login
× The park is the third largest in Thailand. It covers an area of 300 square kilometers, including tropical seasonal forests and grasslands. Its altitude mostly ranges from 400–1,000 m above sea level. There are 3,000 species of plants, 320 species of birds, and 67 species of mammals, recording in this, Thailand's most famous National Park.

Camera Trap Pics

27 Nov 2020 15:58 #5522 by wvwv
Camera Trap Pics was created by wvwv
from the last few months, dates aren't accurate but temperature should be. When I am putting one near ground level I always try and put it where I don't expect elephants to walk, perhaps a trail which looks too thin for them to be using, because I have had elephants smash up a camera before. But elephants seem to be everywhere in Khao Yai, I can't avoid them. Apart from deer I get more elephants than anything else. Would like to get some cats on the cameras, not sure where to place them for best results? Does Khao Yai even have leopards anymore? Searches only turn up clouded leopard.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Nov 2020 18:14 #5523 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Camera Trap Pics
Cool pics! Nice quality as well.

There are no leopards in Khao Yai nor the whole of the Dong PhayaYen - Khao Yai forest complex. Nobody really knows why this is so.

I have a bit of a history with camera traps myself, and you just have to take it on the nose as to the elephants. In my experience it's the males that wilfully attack the cameras, whilst the females (family groups) have an inquisitiveness to them and touch and feel them but don't usually attack them.

Camera trapping ends up being quite expensive where elephants are :+)

23 Jul 2021 16:11 - 23 Jul 2021 16:12 #5656 by wvwv
Replied by wvwv on topic Camera Trap Pics
Some more.  It was a new camera and the default shutter length setting was too long - images came out a little blurry.  Lesson learned.  First time I've camera trapped a bear.

Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.