Facebook Login
× The park is the third largest in Thailand. It covers an area of 300 square kilometers, including tropical seasonal forests and grasslands. Its altitude mostly ranges from 400–1,000 m above sea level. There are 3,000 species of plants, 320 species of birds, and 67 species of mammals, recording in this, Thailand's most famous National Park.

Khao Yai Elephant kills tourist

15 Jan 2021 10:12 - 15 Jan 2021 17:15 #5561 by INFO
Khao Yai Elephant kills tourist was created by INFO
A tourist from Samut Prakan has been killed by a wild elephant in Khao Yai National Park. The tourist, an 80 year old, was sleeping in a tent next to his vehicle parked at the orchid camp site when his tent was trampled and his body thrown from the tent at 01:50 a.m. according to initial reports. The elephant also trampled other tents it is reported. An investigation is underway although the reports note there was fruit in the vehicle.

More info at........

www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/205...led-by-wild-elephant

www.nationthailand.com/news/30401292

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2021 15:24 - 15 Jan 2021 15:24 #5562 by wvwv
Replied by wvwv on topic Khao Yai Elephant kills tourist
saw this on TV.  will be interesting to see what the kneejerk reaction is this time.  surely they won't ban camping like they did at Huai Kha Kaeng, there are too many campers.  So perhaps electric fences around the campsites, like they do at Nam Nao NP.

i've seen elephant poo in both campsites before, so it isn't the first time they've been in and around.  and it makes a bit of a mockery of the rangers stopping people walking around after dark - you are no safer in the campsite.

15 Jan 2021 17:09 - 15 Jan 2021 17:09 #5563 by INFO
Replied by INFO on topic Khao Yai Elephant kills tourist
The accomodation and service areas have now been closed until measures can be put in place for visitor security. The park itself remains open.

Attachments:

18 Jan 2021 23:52 - 19 Jan 2021 00:05 #5564 by wvwv
Replied by wvwv on topic Khao Yai Elephant kills tourist
my bet is they will go with electric fences.  or those huge concrete pillars like they have at haew narok waterfall.  but, will that mean no deer?

i put it through an image translate website and it only seems to mention Pha Kluay Mai Campsite, no mention of Laem Takhong.  but the translation is not good, maybe somebody else can confirm.  edit:  checked on their facebook, seems both campsites are closed!

20 Jan 2021 07:50 #5567 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Khao Yai Elephant kills tourist

wvwv wrote: my bet is they will go with electric fences.  or those huge concrete pillars like they have at haew narok waterfall.  but, will that mean no deer?

Reminds me of my worst 2 nights sleep ever. I was in Nam Nao where the camp sites are surrounded by an electric fence. First night was the heaviest rain I had ever slept in my hammock, it went on and on for hours and hours, I ended up absolutely soaked as my rain fly seams slowly gave out. No sleep at all. Next night I was kept awake until about 4 a.m by an elephant constantly throwing itself against the electric fence (the fence system there is a bit of a heath robinson affair), I was sure it was going to get through. Poor thing must have been incensed. 

HEC events seem to be very much on the rise in Thailand. 

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.