× A public forum for people who wish to find guides or travel buddies, in the areas of wildlife, national parks, birding, herping, etc. This forum "Find a Guide/Buddy?" has been created to allow those looking for guides or liked minded trip buddies to request information on a "person to person" and "person to company" basis.

Advice for viewing wildlife in December/January

2 years 3 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #3444 by Roki
Hello,
I'm looking for advice for a trip I'm planning to Thailand this coming December and January. Some of us in the group are experienced wildlife biologists in North America and are used to long hikes, night hiking, dealing with crazy weather and other issues that come up in natural environments. The main goals of the trip are to see mammal and bird species. We would like to be able to see reptile species as well, but we know this is not the best time of year for that. Currently we are planning on going to Khao Yai and Kaeng Krachan, but we are open to suggestions on other places to go. Also, what are the preferred guides for each of these parks. We would like to support local guides and the local economy. Thank you for any help on information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #3446 by admin
Hi Roki,

You may want to break down your questions further, as thats quite big ask for one post ;)

I would suggest.....

a) "mammal and bird species. We would like to be able to see reptile species" - these are 3 quite distinct areas for guides, so you may want to refine as to what your priority is i.e. a) general (see how it goes) b) birds c) mammals or d) reptiles. Generally in Thailand only one of those groups has a large number of guides to choose from (birds)

b) take a look at www.wildlifethailand.com/galleries/links and you may want to contact some of the guides directly to see what they can offer

c) have a good look through the forums and use the search facility - theres a wealth of information here already and that may help you refine what you want to ask.

d) I think its a great philosophy to use local guide companies over international companies, kudos.

More
2 years 2 months ago #3550 by Roki
Thanks for the quick information.On refining the question, we are interested in what would be a good guide for seeing wildlife for people who are used to being out at night and/or getting dirty on hikes in Khao Yai in December?

More
2 years 2 months ago #3551 by Hustey
I really had a good time with TonTan Travel guide. Though I forgot his name :( It sounded something like Mr. Beer ^^

More
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds