Infrared Video Cameras for Wildlife

4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #1939 by wildambience
I've been looking into getting some portable IR security-type video cameras which can live stream video to an Android device and are battery-powered. The main purpose would be for use in a hide where we could monitor real-time activity from the safety of the hide and without having to disturb the wildlife with torches. (eg. in Malaysia we sometimes spend a night at a hide overlooking a salt lick - problem is, you can't see anything without a torch..)

Has anyone any suggestions on equipment which might do the job?

Thanks

Marc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #1946 by Paul T
Hmmm.... very interesting. I have been pondering this since reading your post. How do you do the live streaming though? Would you need a wifi network or cell signal? By cable would be simple and cheap, laptop computer and video baby monitor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wildambience

More
4 years 2 months ago #1947 by wildambience
Not sure about the wifi - what got me thinking about it was borrowing my brother-in-law's GoPro & connecting it via wifi with my Android phone. Live view worked quite well, so I thought surely there is something on the market, perhaps for the security market, using infrared cameras & a similar wifi setup to the GoPro.

I found this as an option: www.amazon.co.uk/Tenvis-IPRobot3-Network...=tenvis+night+camera

Looks interesting, but not sure how/if can get something similar but battery powered or how it would hold us with some light rain in the field.

More
4 years 2 months ago #1948 by Paul T
Good point, P2P, that never occurred to me for some reason. Should be good for short distances.

Google "wifi trail cam" and click on "images".

More
4 years 2 months ago #1949 by onflipflops
Maybe a stupid idea, but how about just use a red filter on a spotlight and place it somewhere in the trees pointing down on the saltlick? They say many animals are oblivious to red light...

More
4 years 2 months ago #1954 by wildambience
Not a stupid idea - it could work too. However, I like the flexibility a trailcam would offer, & the fact it can record what we might miss from the hide. I'll keep searching to see what I can find & post details of anything that might be of interest.

Thanks for all your answers/suggestions!

More
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok Decline