What is your favorite trail camera?

• onflipflops
  • onflipflops's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 7 months ago #1958 by onflipflops
What is your favorite trail camera? was created by onflipflops
I'm hooked. Have been using my first trail camera (an LTL Acorn 5210MM) for a couple of weeks now, (so far not yet in Thailand...) and have had some great results. It's great fun and am happy with my cam.
However there are things that could be better.
I see there are models out there filming in HD whereas mine 'only' films in a resolution of 480x640.
Not that I think these type of cameras will produce top-quality videos, but a bit more resolution would be nice.
When I watch the videos from e.g. Trekker on this forum I see the infrared light seems much more powerful than on my cam. And the addition of sound finishes it off nicely.

What is your favorite trail camera model?
As much as I would love to get into the DIY models, I don't know if I am capable to build it, and I think the expenses will be high. So, for now I would love to hear your recommendations about the retail cameras.

Do you have different recommendations depending on the situation/ aimed subject?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #1961 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
I am looking for new ones at the moment, I have preferred (keep in mind I only use them for video not stills) Bushnell so far and their day time quality is very good BUT over the last few years they have progressively updated their cams and the nighttime video has become poorer and poorer - unusable IMHO. The BW clips you see from my trail cams are the older models, which are all slowly dying on me.

For good night time shots my advice would be stay away from "blacklight" models and go for the red LED ones (keep in mind if you have trespassers on your property they will see the red light clearly). The quality from the newer models for day time video and stills is REALLY impressive.

I am trying to find an alternative to the Bushnells as night time is the time I am really interested in. Have not found anything yet though, may try the newest Bushnell which came out this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: onflipflops

• onflipflops
More
4 years 7 months ago #1968 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Trekker.
I prefer video as well.
A shame to hear that the nighttime video is getting poorer.
I understand that there might not be such a thing as perfect in all situations. Would love to hear it though if you find out that the newer Bushnell models are doing better at night.
Thanks

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #1976 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
I am using Bushnell TrophyCam HD cameras, like has been said daytime photos seem pretty decent but night time shots leave a little to be desired.
At some stage I'd like to get some more camera's so will be interested to hear the various positives and negatives of the current options available.

More
4 years 3 months ago #2262 by NN
Replied by NN on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
What are the chances of theft with these cameras? How noticeable are they when mounted on a tree facing a trail? Do they make noise or give of a flash?

I'd love to get one, but the areas I'm thinking of may have ppl wandering occasionally, collecting bamboo shoots etc. or even poaching.

More
4 years 3 months ago #2263 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
Chances of theft - with people around, VERY high IMHO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NN

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #2264 by NN
Replied by NN on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
What exactly gives them away? I imagine they could be set up not to stand out, but flashes or LED would be obvious. I thinks it pretty rare that ppl go to the area, the bamboo shoot season has just finished, the only ppl would be poachers, I was wandering around yesterday, saw a large monitor lizard (a long way from water) and noticed signs of elephants. It would be great to see what else is in the area.

• onflipflops
More
4 years 3 months ago #2265 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
The regular production trail cams have no flash nor sound, so that's not giving them away. But since there are elephants around you'll need one of those alluminium protection cases around it which makes it a rather square box on a tree which stands out easily and will be seen.
But of course there are ways to make it less obvious.
I have glued pieces of army camouflage netting on the box. And adding dead leaves etc helps making it less obvious.
And I have tried to find trees in a dark area a meter or more away from the trails it has been monitoring.
If there are some overhanging branches with leaves that block the view for an upright standing person, but not block the view of the camera on the trail, that would be perfect. I managed to leave it on a trail that was visited daily by researchers ( not tourists) and they have not seen the cam. But still I was worried a bit and decided to move it to another area where it was extremely unlikely other people would visit. Both spots in KY I got some nice catches. Leopard cats, Hog Badgers, Serow, Large Indian civet.
So far it hasn't been on one spot for long, just a week or two. I only have one, and you will soon want to have many more ;)
It got me more interested and am seriously thinking to produce my own trail cam made of a DSLR to get quality pics. But that will probably be even a bigger worry for it to get stolen, it will be larger and easier to see.

If you use a lock it will make it harder to steal. But if poachers visit the area they might be fearing that the cam is placed by rangers to trap them. I believe the admin of this forum had some cams destroyed...

I have found it not easy to find a good spot. Especially finding a spot where your cam is hard to see for people is very difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NN

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph