Facebook Login

What is your favorite trail camera?

11 Sep 2014 12:12 - 05 Jun 2015 12:08 #2294 by NN
Replied by NN on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
What about the cameras that send pics direct to your phone or email? They work on 2G, not 3G. Does anybody have experience/thoughts on these?
www.proschoice.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=acorn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Sep 2014 12:31 - 11 Sep 2014 12:41 #2295 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
TBH have never used one, but the biggest issue would be having a cellular signal. Interestingly, there is currently a Thailand based experiment going on by a local University that is using drones to fly over a forest area and put a temp signal into an area so that the camera can upload pictures from storage every time the drone passes overhead.

One other issue would be file size as to be efficient in uploading pictures I am sure the camera is rigged to produce a small file size for transmission (this is a supposition - I have not looked at the details). Smaller file size normally means poorer quality image.

Saying that If you had one in a cellular coverage area and bought a sim card there is no reason why it should not work.

On the IR - if its "black light" then it is "believed" (I am not 100% convinced yet) they cannot see it, they can see white light and red light LED. BUT they will see my cameras anyway in the day, or sense them by smell.

One small note to all readers: By all means camera trap on your own property or property where you have the owners OK. BUT do not camera trap in a National Park without permission of the Park Chief.

11 Sep 2014 15:35 #2296 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
My camera (LTL Acorn 5210MM) has the option to use a sim card, but I haven't tried the option yet. IMO It more or less takes away the whole fun of camera trapping. Leaving your cam for a couple of weeks in the forest and then hike to it and see what you got.

11 Sep 2014 18:31 #2297 by NN
Replied by NN on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
Do you find the LTL Acorn to be a good camera? They seem reasonably priced. I think one of the advantages of sending pics is if you didn't receive any it would give you an indication that there might be something wrong with the camera or no wildlife in the area. Rather than having to wait until you checked it.

Regarding file size, the camera is 12mp, which is large, so it may resize while keeping a copy of the original.

12 Sep 2014 17:37 #2299 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic What is your favorite trail camera?
I believe the manual indeed said something about sending small resolution images.
I am happy with the LTL Acorn, it gets the job done. It even triggers on flying bats, and I don't get much false triggers. Though birds flying by could trigger the cam and leaving you with an empty frame. I set it on high sensitivity and surely you'll get less false triggers if you put it at normal or low sensitivity. I only use video, just more exciting to see a bit of behaviour. I've never seen a really high quality image of any of the production models of any brand. My model says it shoots video at 640 x 480. But it seems pixely, and to me it looks more like 320 x 240, just enlarged to 640x480.
I think mine is a genuine, but I did buy it second hand and I'm wrong, maybe it is not a true Acorn... There seem to be many 'same same but different'-cams around.
The IR leds are not so powerful. So generally if the cam is more than let's say 4-5 meters from the subject, you will hardly see the creature. Seems like some of the Bushnells are much better at this. Next time I would go for a Bushnell. Higher price, but I think better quality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NN

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.