Preventing Fungus on Lenses

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #2213 by NN
Preventing Fungus on Lenses was created by NN
After having it only a couple of months, my Tamron 150 - 600 developed some fungus. Hopefully I've nipped it in the bud, the cost to fix is only B1,000.

I use the lens almost daily, sometimes it's stored sealed box with heaps of silica gel bags, although often Ieave it on top of a bookshelf overnight. When I asked the guy in the camera shop about using a proper storage box, he seemed unsure how much it would help and was surprised that a lens used so often would develop fungus so quickly.

Where I live is extremely humid in the wet season, much more so than Bkk and just about everywhere else I've been. Often it's like living in a cloud. Any suggestions for preventing fungus? Not just in storage but also when using, travelling etc.? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #2216 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Preventing Fungus on Lenses
Would like to help but, thankfully, its a problem I have never had, and I really abuse my gear and never clean it.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #2237 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Preventing Fungus on Lenses
I can not help either. But have the same problem. Lost my 200mm f/4 micro nikon lens, which I think can not be fixed (though haven't asked, but it looks REALLY bad)
And not sure but I think I see minor fungus in some of my other lenses.
I guess I should bring them to some service center, but haven't tried that yet. Also lost a D300 due to I think humidity.
Since last year I have a dry box and try to use it when I don't use the gear for a longer period, but I'm using the gear a lot and it does get humid.

Keeping it in a dry box, and perhaps in a space that is not too dark (thats just my guess, but I believe fungus love dark areas...).
It's best to get your stuff cleaned as soon as possible before it gets too bad and starts 'eating' your glass.

More
4 years 2 months ago #2272 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Preventing Fungus on Lenses
I think I've been lucky aswell not to get any fungus on my lenses. Maybe its less humid up here in the North?
I will try to be more proactive now though following your experiences, thanks!

More
4 years 2 months ago #2274 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Preventing Fungus on Lenses
I also havent seen an issue as of yet, I have an ILITE box which I keep at 35% humidity and have the lenses professionally cleaned for free (after you buy the lens from them) at FotoFile after every 3rd trip or so

More
4 years 2 months ago #2293 by NN
Replied by NN on topic Preventing Fungus on Lenses
I had the lens cleaned by AV Camera, it cost B1,000, which I think was OK. When I rang the Tamron dealer they said nothing could be done, so I should just get a new lens! This is before I even told them the model.

I've looking a buying silica gel in bulk, 15kgs divided into 1kg bags costs B1,700 (B113 per kg). I would keep about 5kg for myself, is anyone interested in getting a few kg?

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph