Black-and-white wildlife photography

3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #2575 by onflipflops
After the post of Bagheera and his black-and-white images in The-Other-Guys-thread, I thought it would be fun to create a thread specifically for B/W wildlife photography from Thailand.
I took a dive in my elephant photo archive and started converting some images to black-and-white in Photoshop by using adjustments black-and-white layers and playing with the various color channels.
The results might not beat the work of e.g. Nick Brandt ;), but still I was quite happy with what I got; images that sometimes were dull and unusable in color, turned out to be quite interesting in black and white. I also tried it with my avatar shot, and also prefer the B/W version over the color shot.

Please, feel free to try it yourself with your Thai wildlife shots and post your results in this thread.

Here is a selection of my results after spending an evening post-processing to B/W.
No captions needed, all are Asian Elephants and all images were shot in Khao Yai national park.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #2578 by rushenb
Wow.. much better in B/W! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: onflipflops

More
3 years 7 months ago #2580 by onflipflops
Thanks Rushen!
I forgot to add one more image to the initial post. One of an elephant in its jungle surroundings. Playing with the color channels gave it a bit of a infrared look.
I've added it now.

More
3 years 7 months ago #2581 by Bagheera
Great shots, BW certainly works well on Elephants!

More
3 years 4 months ago #2697 by pentagreen

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #2904 by roblgs
What sort of time of day were the elephant shots taken... they're really impressive, and VERY well suited to B&W treatment...

I especially like the family groups

Cheers

Rob

More
Time to create page: 0.627 seconds

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok Decline