Wildlife Watching from a Hide

11 May 2017 23:23 #4408 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Wildlife Watching from a Hide
I noticed a post on facebook about this thing called the ghost blind. Maybe not so easy to stick a big lens through it, but this looks pretty cool...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jun 2017 21:09 - 06 Jun 2017 21:12 #4423 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Wildlife Watching from a Hide
Always looking for new and better ways to stay in a hide I have finalized my newest creation for watching animals comfortably from a hide

Due to ants, bugs, snakes etc I have wondered about using a hanging chair from REI.com and who distribute the ENO Lounger Hanging Chair and made my order (they deliver international fyi)

Obvious benefits are being comfortable and being off the ground. I usually sit with my Canon with 300 IS 2.8 and I may look into rigging the camera to hang from the center pole. I may also look into hanging it higher off the ground I suppose you could even climb a tree and attach it with hanging straps

Ive tried wrapping it with camouflage (see attached) and it seems to resemble a very large broadbill nest haha
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Me too

07 Jun 2017 00:16 #4424 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Wildlife Watching from a Hide
Wow, that is an awesome idea, Jonathan!
And I imagine it will allow for easy 360 degrees shooting. The few times I have used my normal popup blind, I always worried about a major target animal to show up behind and me being unable to shoot it, because turning around quietly in such a blind is virtually impossible.

I guess finding the right tree to hang it will be a bit of a challenge, but when settled, it should make for a pleasant session.
And if you get to rig the camera properly it will probably be stable enough to shoot with a long lens.

Thanks for sharing!

17 Jun 2017 02:47 #4433 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Wildlife Watching from a Hide
Thats interesting - I can see see it on a sling/pulley of some kind to get higher

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com