Trail cameras

• bootly66
  • bootly66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Birding Moderator
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #4359 by bootly66
Trail cameras was created by bootly66
I have been so impressed with your pics from your camera traps, I was thinking I would like to give it a try for civets/ porcupines etc when camping at KK.. Can anyone give me any advise on what is good to buy?? I really am on a tight budget with this but i have seen some on ebay around 1 -2000bt.. would they be any good???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #4360 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Trail cameras
There is a very good site at www.trailcampro.com for assessing the small pre-built cams. Its very hard to get a good quality picture from them without a LOT of sunlight, which is very difficult in the forest. Of the small units I, personally, have used Bushnell models and Moultrie models (we very kindly got a special discount from Moultrie and thats why you see can see a Moultrie sticker on my truck, because they were so nice to us) - I did use a scotsguard once but an elephant "ate" it the first time it was out.

I still use them (Moultries) to scout locations with the DNP. We always use them in video mode (you can see the quality of the files in the video gallery in the menu at the top of the page). Heres a sample of the photo quality (day with light and night) ...........

PS The images taken on www.thailandwildlife.com are not taken with these cameras, they are taken with DSLRS

PPS as always make sure you discuss with the rangers first - filing police reports to get your cams back from the pound is a painful process, I can tell you.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

• bootly66
  • Birding Moderator
More
1 year 5 months ago #4361 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic Trail cameras
I was just thinking of something cheap to start with and put it near the tent with a bit of rice to see what appears..Dont want any tigers or elephants that close....

• bootly66
  • Birding Moderator
More
1 year 5 months ago #4362 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic Trail cameras
Just for a bit of fun at first to see what turns up.. certainly dont want to be sticking my DSLRs out there yet

More
1 year 5 months ago #4382 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Trail cameras
While iwas in NZ recently I was given an old Bushnell trail Camera by someone who works for a forestry company so when I was in Nam Nao NP I strapped it to a tree by a waterhole where there was fresh elephant and deer tracks to give it a try.

Got a photo of me after I had set it :

And after 2 nights when I picked it up another of a bird (raptor) :

Also got 2 series of black photos which could mean the flash is not working or possibly what triggered it was to far away, will have to test it at home one night

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.
Attachments:

More
1 year 5 months ago #4413 by Robby L
After tests I found that flash is definitely not working on this thing so I decided to operate and opened it up to find there is a loose wire in there.

There are 2 wires connected to the flash unit a black wire which is connected to the board and a red wire with a blue sleeve with the blue sleeve end loose.

What I need to know is where the red wire connects to the board so I can reconnect it.

Would anyone out there have a Bushnell Trophy cam model 119455 that they could open up and have a look so I can get this thing working properly.

Tried Bushnell customer support and was told they dont 'coach' people on repairs so I should send it in or buy a new one, no help at all.

Robby

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.
Attachments:

More
1 year 4 months ago #4414 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Trail cameras
Here you go Robby ......
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robby L

More
1 year 4 months ago #4417 by Robby L
Great thank you very much i will solder it back on and see what happens.

Operation complete and the patient has survived, gave it a try last night and it works.

Now all I need is a place to put it.

Robby

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph