Wimberley 2 (WH200) gimbal mount wear

4 weeks 18 hours ago #4926 by jack2964
Have owned this many years now and am increasingly worried about excessive wear on the female threads as shown in pic.
This mates with my tripod and only engages barely 3 turns on the male threads of the tripod.
All the wear is at the female threads.
Does anyone know a solution for this?
I am thinking:
(a)Replace male thread on tripod with longer thread as the existing one only has 3 threads.
(b)Replace female part on the head if there is available part.
Any ideas/advice you folks may have greatly appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 16 hours ago - 4 weeks 16 hours ago #4927 by Paul T
IMHO - if any one knows someone local who deals with Wimberley its better to let them do it (?) Or maybe email Kimberly and ask them if there is anyone local. I recall theres a local birder who does repairs, his name is "Wat Krating" or something like that. He does tripod refurbs and sells hides and stuff.

From an engineering stance, I would just take it to a trusty local machine shop, along with an appropriately sized self tapping insert - have them drill the damaged thread out and then fit the self tapping insert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jack2964

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #4937 by jack2964
Thanks Paul for your input.
I'll look around the local machine shops to see if anyone can get me a 3/8" bolt to replace the male thread on the tripod.
Meanwhile I found this: www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=26724...ight=Wimberley+combo
This is a known problem. Hope it helps other wimberley owners.

More
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok Decline