Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!

05 Jun 2013 20:06 #1083 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
Oi mostly hangs around on the 4th floor main shop, but you can ask for him if/when you arrive to confirm.

I may be around the GPS shop within the next week, I will check in to get their current pricing for it if I am around there
The following user(s) said Thank You: onflipflops

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2013 20:16 #1084 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
Hi Jonathan,

It would be great if you could ask around for the pricing of the eTrex20. Saves me the 3hr (one-way) trip to get there.
And thanks again for all the details. Much appreciated!

All the best!

06 Jun 2013 20:35 #1090 by onflipflops
Today, I searched the webpage of tarad.com and found a business selling fishfinders and GPS devices. They sell the eTrex 20 for 8500 baht, the belt clip which was not mentioned on their webpage, but after an inquiry by email I soon received a reply that they sell it for an additional 500 baht.

I believe the rate includes free shipping within Thailand, though EMS service would cost an additional 100 baht.

Sounds like a good deal to me. The price difference with my homecountry is not worth the waiting time.

BTW The GPSMAP 62s sells for 14900 baht.

They emailed the eTrex 20 was not in stock so it will take another 10 days before it arrives.
They replied in English, and promptly, so far seems like they offer good service for reasonable rates.

I'll add a link to their webpage (available in English and in Thai) for those who are interested.
www.fishfinder-gps.com/?lang=en

Thanks again for all your help and advice!

21 Jun 2013 00:32 #1114 by onflipflops
Received my Garmin etrex 20. 8500 baht for the device, 500 baht for the belt clip, 100 baht EMS shipping.
Total: 9100 baht. Quite reasonable compared to the other rates I've found online.

As mentioned I'm quite happy with the good service of the above mentioned seller. The email replies were prompt, and so was the shipping after I had made the payment.

Now, I can't wait to take it out there...

Thanks for all your advice!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

05 Jul 2013 21:56 #1141 by angiud
Replied by angiud on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
Hi, I'm new and I want to say hello to everybody! I think somebody know me already ;-)

I start with a question about GPS.I would like something allowing me to track my trek on a map, possibly the Google earth. Canh I do that with the Trek20 or I must buy the 30?

Is it enough sensitive to get a point in the forest too? Both the GPS of my Galaxy 4 and of the Canon 6D fail to get a point when covered by few trees too.

07 Jul 2013 09:27 - 07 Jul 2013 13:39 #1145 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
Hi Antonio,

How could we not know who you are with your fantastic photos. I am a really big fan!

Any Garmin GPS will let you do what you need.....

For Google Earth, you download your track from your GPS to a free Garmin program called BaseCamp. In BaseCamp you can edit the track easily and cut out bits you don't want or move bits. Then you can either export as GPX file and import into google earth or, more simply, just right click on your track and a menu will come up that says "view contents in google earth". So any Gramin GPS is OK as its done by BaseCamp not the GPS unit itself.

If you mean having the google earth on the screen of your GPS - I don't think that can be done with any of them. The they did introduce a download service called "birdseye" which did enable downloading parts of "google earth" to the GPS itself BUT it was rubbish - with very little detail.

You can get the "thailand map" on your GPS but all it will show on your screen when your are in a NP is a green background. Same as a GPS in your car.

All the new handheld garmin models work under heavy forest cover. No problems there.

16 Aug 2013 16:55 #1248 by Xenocrab
Replied by Xenocrab on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
Recently Garmin Etrex 10 with Thai language option www.garmin.co.th/products/onthetrail/eTrex10/
are available from ESRI Thailand for 5000 Baht each. Phone +66-0-2636-8421 (Sathon Road, Bkk)

www.esri.com/apps/company/contact/index....kup&country=Thailand
This must represent the cheapest hand held GPS option in Thailand
The following user(s) said Thank You: angiud

07 Dec 2013 20:15 #1520 by angiud
I'm getting a Etrex30 as a present from Italy. Do you think that that I can get the Thai map from Thailand-gps or whoever sell it in Thailand?

see here:
thailand-gps.com/index.php?route=product..._id=0&product_id=187

07 Dec 2013 23:43 #1521 by onflipflops
Hi Antonio,

Maybe it's an option to download a free openstreetmap (OSM) of Thailand. That's what I did.
However, I forgot where I got it from... I found it with help of google, so I suppose you'll find it if you try.
Not all roads are on it, though most are, and it even showed some trails in Khao Yai national park.

Enjoy your new present, ;). I'm very happy with it (I have the Etrex 20), and should have bought it years ago...
It has made exploring new areas a lot easier. Though I still carry 1 or 2 compasses as backup just in case it would ever go wrong.

08 Dec 2013 08:17 #1522 by angiud
My first target with the GPS will be (if it will be possible) the uploading of a custom map (based on hi-def jpeg of Google Map)of my island Koh Phangan, to survey the trails and the dirty roads and overwrite to it.

Should be possible, but I don't know how much difficult (I'm not so much a computer nerd...) :lol:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com