Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!

08 Dec 2013 13:24 - 08 Dec 2013 13:27 #1523 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
I did exactly that. Though not sure if it is non-computer-nerd friendly, hahaha.

It's quite a time consuming process, especially when you do it for the first time.
I used a combination of software to get to the results as pleased.
I have used an add-on (plugin) in my Firefox browser called Fireshot to create a JPEG of a map. It is basically a print-screen function only you have the option to print screen the total webpage including the areas that are not visible in your browser window unless you scroll down/to the sides.

Then find the coordinates in google maps of the centre of the area you'd like to map. (open google maps and right click and choose 'What's here'). I've did this for you and the center of the island is about 9.734521,100.022278.

Initially I did it both in the Satellite view and the Terrain view. But now I only use the terrain view on my GPS system. However in Terrain view you can't zoom in as far as in Satellite view.

Copy below code (it includes instructions how to adapt), open Windows Notepad (if you are on MAC, I'm not sure what to use; perhaps just some html-editor).
Paste the code in notepad and save it. Now it will be saved as *.txt. Change the extension into *.html

Open it in notepad (or an html-editor) and adapt the iframe link following the instructions. You might have to save it every now and then and open the page in your internet browser to see if the area shows as you'd like.

Then click on the file to open it in your internet browser.
I use Firefox for which you need to download the above mentioned plugin called fireshot, there might be other options for other browsers.
You'll see the FireShot icon in your Firefox browser. Click the little arrow to open the menu and choose 'Capture Entire Page and ...'. After you click this you get a list of options. Choose 'save' and then save the file as JPG on your computer. You now have a jpg map of your area.

Here follows the code that you need to paste into your Windows Notepad. And adapt it according to the instructions.
<!--
Change t=...
EXAMPLE: 
t=p is terrain view
t=h is satellite view
t=m is map view

Change ll=... , ... 
EXAMPLE:
By right-clicking in a google maps it should show the option 'What's here'. It will show the coordinates of that location.
Choose the center of the area you'd like to map.

Change z=...
maximum zoom in terrain view is z=14; in satellite or map view you can zoom in even further.

Change width; in pixels
Change height; in pixels
Adapt the width and height untill the whole area you'd like to map is visible.

-->

<iframe width="1500" height="1700" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?num=1&amp;t=p&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;z=14&amp;ll=9.734521,100.022278&amp;output=embed"></iframe>

Next step is to download Google Earth.
And follow the instructions on the following page:
garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com/Custom+Maps

If your total area jpeg is larger than 1024px x 1024px the Garmin system will reduce it, if you don't like that you need to split the image in multiple blocks of 1024 x 1024px and not more than 3MB.
If you upload too many custom maps to your system you can notice it gets significantly slower when starting up.

Not sure if this long post will scare you off, ;).
Anyway it might be useful for some, if not, I now created an online manual that I can use myself in the future when I forgot again how to do it ;).

Maybe somebody knows a better way.
And actually the first part to create the jpg map could be easy when the area is small, however I first tried it with Khao Yai and since it's huge it's a painful process...
The following user(s) said Thank You: angiud

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Dec 2013 18:01 #1524 by angiud
Replied by angiud on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
Wow, now I must digest all your wonderful instructions...

For now just say I did already a hi-res map of Koh Phangan with Google Satellite Map Uploader in .jpg.

Now, next week, when the Etrex will arrive, I'll start to play. Due to the lack of trail maps here in Thailand, should be interesting to develop something.

Thank you again for the explaination ;)

08 Dec 2013 21:46 #1525 by onflipflops
If you have a jpg of the area, you probably only will need the link that I posted.

One question, could you tell me where to find this Google Satellite Map Uploader?
Sounds interesting.

Enjoy your play time ;)

09 Dec 2013 19:01 - 05 Jun 2015 13:50 #1530 by angiud
The following user(s) said Thank You: onflipflops

20 Dec 2013 11:54 #1543 by angiud
Replied by angiud on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
Got the Etrex, downloaded (with some fight...) the OSM maps of Thailand. On my PC the map is shown in very good detail, with colors and level curves, but on the GPS screen the details are a bit disappointing. But now I must become more used to the device... :P

20 Dec 2013 13:22 #1544 by onflipflops
Good luck with it. It won't take long before you get used to it.

About the maps.
Turns out I rarely look at the maps other than at a global view of where the roads/ rivers might be.

20 Dec 2016 14:29 #4118 by onflipflops
After about 3 years, my Garmin Etrex 20 is starting to show severe signs of wear. As seen in the pictures the bits of duct tape hold some buttons in place, but now the top buttons are nearly gone as well.
Maybe it is partly the climate that affects the rubber, but probably also that this device has been heavily used, hanging on my belt next to e.g. a torch and other gadgets which probably have caused the wear while hiking.
Has anyone else had similar trouble, or have I just abused it too much, haha?

It still works, but due to the lack of the buttons, I need to use some sort of stick to press the inner buttons on the board.
Obviously it is not exactly weather proof anymore either, so I guess it is time to say goodbye to this handy device. Because relying on this device when in the jungle seems a bit too tricky. I might anyhow try to 'fix' it with some more duct tape and in case I would intend to do some far offtrail tracking, just have it as some last resort spare device in the bottom of my bag... But anyway, it seems time for a new one.

I am now considering to upgrade to the Garmin GPSMAP 64s. The same webpage http://www.fishfinder-gps.com/ from which I ordered my etrex 20, still seems to be by far the most affordable. Most other offers I have found online are nearly 10000 baht more expensive for the same device... not sure how this can be, but anyway.
I guess I will try to find another solution instead of hanging it on my belt, in the hope it will last a bit more than 3 years.
Attachments:

20 Dec 2016 16:42 #4119 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
I had an Oregon 550 that fell to bits too (very disappointing). My old eTrex Vista® HCx (old style) is still going strong and my fav. I also have a Rhino (with radio and buddy tracker) that is still holding up very very well but I don't use it that much these days TBH.

21 Dec 2016 11:09 #4120 by onflipflops
Yes, I guess I should just be a bit more careful with my gear.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com