Facebook Login

Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!

14 Dec 2020 06:02 - 14 Dec 2020 06:32 #5535 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
I have fully moved over to the iPhone (10) in a waterproof case and use the GAIA app. I find it very easy to use, very big screen and very accurate and most of all I can see the screen without putting glasses on :+) Top is very good and you can upload all your existing GPX tracks on the web interface.

I got peed off with Garmin as their basecamp program is only partially usable on a Mac now and they do not seem that bothered about upgrading anything. I really liked basecamp as it was easy to edit tracks with.

For the Garmin you can manually upload the topo map from alternativaslibres.org/en/downloads.php (free) and its good for the Thai NP topo elevations (GAIA is much better though).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Dec 2020 09:54 #5538 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
Well I have to thank you Paul, GAIA has been great fun and I did my first test of it using a KK trail to connect a loop I have always wanted to try but was concerned of potentially missing the turn to get me back on the road

Its great to be able to overlay Sat imagery with Topo maps, you can really fully understand what your getting into before you walk.

As far as the trail went, fascinating area and you can see how there are connecting routes the animals are using to get further into the forest. As the trail isnt cut after about 4km, I was lucky to follow a very well worn Gaur track moving back and forth over the stream, they definitely know the easiest routes!

Especially after km 6 or so there are a significant amount of animal tracks and we found about a 1-2 week old kill sight of a Sambar Deer with nothing left but a lot of hair, not a single bone was left

We had to walk quite slow for awhile, there was a Gaur bull ahead of us, and then a Sun Bear mother and cubs which kept things on edge but they eventually tracked out of the canyon. Both times my bear spray was loaded and ready

We also heard otters and saw their activity but they found somewhere to hide when we got close

And for the future of GAIA? I am a big fan now, my Garmin will now only be a back up at best
Attachments:

26 Dec 2020 18:31 #5543 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Choosing a GPS device. HELP Needed!
I have to admit it was WVWV that put me onto the phone apps for this.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.