Remember Me
Register
Facebook Login

Tamron 150-600mm Zoom

26 Apr 2014 18:35 #1887 by wildambience
Replied by wildambience on topic Tamron 150-600mm Zoom
I've since taken some shots in better conditions - I'll post the full frame version along with a 100% crop with each post.

These were all taken in Malaysia last month - handheld at about ISO 1600 on a Canon 6D so you can imagine it only gets cleaner in brighter light.

Each full frame version hasn't been edited or sharpened, just reduced to 800px wide for viewing -

& the 100% crop

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Apr 2014 18:37 #1888 by wildambience
White-thighed Surili (taken in Fraser's Hill, Malaysia)

800px full frame

100% crop

Attachments:

26 Apr 2014 18:39 #1889 by wildambience
Unidentified skink sp. (Malaysia)

800px full frame

100% crop

Attachments:

26 Apr 2014 18:54 #1890 by wildambience

trekker wrote: ...How is it it physically to handle hand held at 300-400?

I spent about two weeks using it while travelling in Malaysia & the weight/size wasn't really an issue for me. Sure, it is no lightweight at almost 2kg, but I kept reminding myself that I am getting 600mm reach in a relatively manageable size. Mostly I handheld even at 600mm, as the Vibration Control is effective above say 1/200s, and the Canon 6D is exceptionally clean at <iso3200. I did use it on a tripod & monopod at times which certainly helps get more 'keepers' especially when the hands/arms are tiring late in the day!

27 Apr 2014 07:42 #1892 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Tamron 150-600mm Zoom
Many thanks! Impressive results indeed.

27 Apr 2014 09:49 #1894 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Tamron 150-600mm Zoom
agreed, those are some impressive results. A brief internet search suggests the lens can be bought in Thailand for 42,990 baht, not bad at all for the focal length it has.

26 Jun 2014 12:35 - 26 Jun 2014 12:36 #2061 by NN
Replied by NN on topic Tamron 150-600mm Zoom
This lens is very popular, Tamron hasn't been able to keep up with the demand. I checked several countries and couldn't find it in stock anywhere.

In the end I preordered from Fortune Town and received a discount B40,000 instead of B43,000. It should arrive in the next few days.

I've already got a tripod, can anybody suggest other necessary accessories, such as a strap and polarising filter?

26 Jun 2014 14:51 #2063 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Tamron 150-600mm Zoom
I don't see any reason why to use a polarizer on a long telephoto lens like this. And you don't want to loose light, as it is only a f/6.3 wide-open. And to get better sharpness on any lens you need to stop down a full stop (or sometimes more).
Perhaps you could consider buying a clear UV filter simply for protection of the front element.
If a strap is useful would be a personal thing. Only you can decide how you prefer to carry it.
For long telephoto lenses a gimbal head would be great, but these are expensive, probably nearly half the price of the lens.

18 Jul 2014 21:47 #2112 by NN
Replied by NN on topic Tamron 150-600mm Zoom
I've had the lens for about a little over a week and am really enjoying it. It's been overcast everyday, but I've still been happy enough with the results. Tracking for BIF doesn't seem to great, but I'm fairly new to it and only using a 650D. Handheld is fine for short periods.

Attachments:

19 Jul 2014 13:45 #2114 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Tamron 150-600mm Zoom
My sister also purchased this lens after it was brought to my attention through this post, she is very satisfied with it.
Here is a Pied kingfisher she photographed with the lens on a recent trip to India..

Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph